Eagles shut out Thorsby in opening round win

Published 11:15 pm Friday, November 8, 2019

The Goshen Eagles began the Class 2A State Playoffs with a shutout win over Thorsby, 36-0 on Friday night.

“I was very impressed with the intensity that we brought,” said head coach Bart Snyder. “We had an opportunity to state who we are and that’s what our guys did. I’m very pleased with the overall effort.”

The Goshen Eagles fumbled away the opening snap of the ball game, giving Thorsby possession at Goshen’s 43-yard line. The Rebels failed to pick up a first down and they were forced to give the ball back to the Eagles.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The Eagles had their longest drive of the half and scored the game’s first points. The drive lasted 12 plays. Quarterback Bryan Galloway ran the football seven times for 53 yards in the drive, including a two-yard touchdown for the game’s first score.

After holding the Rebels without a first down for the second consecutive time, RaQuan Martin took a Galloway handoff 66 yards for the touchdown to put the Eagles up 14-0 with 1:36 remaining in the first quarter.

The Rebels were able to drive the ball all the way down inside the Eagle 15 yards, but three sacks stalled the drive, keeping them scoreless.

During Thorsby’s final drive of the first half, a bad snap sailed over the head of quarterback Brody Barnett for a safety.

The game went into halftime with the Eagles leading 16-0.

Thorsby took the first play of the second half all the way inside the five-yard-line, but the Eagles, with the benefit of a holding call, once again kept the Rebels off the scoreboard.

“It was very impressive,” Snyder said about his defense. “Especially when they had it inside the five. I was very impressed with how we didn’t bend. We were able to hold them and back them up. I was very impressed with how I guys kept their composure and kept them out of the end zone.”

The Eagles took their first drive 75 yards for a touchdown on a one-handed catch by Martin, increasing the Eagles’ lead to 23-0.

The Eagles defense got into the act on the Rebels next drive. Kamero Baker picked off a Barnett pass and rumbled his way all the way down inside the five-yard-line.

Galloway sneaked his way into the end zone for his second touchdown of the game, putting the Eagles up 29-0.

The Eagles defense forced their second-straight turnover on ensuing kickoff. Tamarcus Shipmon took a Galloway handoff 25 yards for the score, giving Goshen a 36-0 lead.

With the win, the Eagles advance to the second round of the playoffs where they will travel to take on Leroy next Friday night. The Bears defeated Daleville on Friday.