Troy man arrested for assault in locker room brawl

Published 5:01pm Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Troy man has been arrested for his involvement in an altercation following a football game last week that sent a Goshen High School assistant coach to the hospital.

Jason Larenzo Simmons, 36, turned himself into the Pike County Sheriff’s Department at about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and was charged with second-degree assault. Lawmen say he allegedly struck a coach following the school’s Aug. 30 football game against Pike County High School. Simmons is the father of two Goshen students.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, striking a school official or teacher in the performance of their duty is a class C felony. Simmons was released after he posted bond, which was set at $5,000.

Sheriff Russell Thomas said petitions have also been issued against four Goshen football players, all minors, who where also involved.

“We will go ahead this week and move forward with administrative hearing with the school system,” Pike County Schools Superintendent Mark Bazzell told the The Messenger. “Three of the four have already withdrawn from the school system. There is one other who may face some disciplinary action, but that will be handled at the local school level.”

The incident began with one of Goshen’s players being disruptive in the field house. Coaches and other players attempted to calm him down and that’s when things escalated. Police say Simmons rushed inside the field house and punched one of the coaches. The coach was treated for minor injuries at Troy Regional Medical Center and was released shortly thereafter.

Weeks said last week that changes to game polices and procedures are in the works and restricting certain areas on and around the field would be at the top of that list.

Bazzell shares Weeks’ resolve to prevent future episodes from happening.

“The incident that occurred last Thursday is certainly out of character for the Goshen community and Goshen High School,” Bazzel said. “It’s unfortunate. It’s certainly not something we are going to tolerate.”

Weeks could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Robbyn Brooks contributed to this report.

• raadar

Such a sad state of affairs. I pray for the Goshen players that are left to pick up the pieces after this and I pray for guidance for the football coaches, they have a long road ahead of them.

• Curly

Don’t get me wrong, the parent should definitely be charged, but a Class B Felony? First off according to the Alabama Law Code, assaulting a teacher while they are performing their duty is Second Degree Assault and a Class C felony unless I am missing something, but really, I’d think something like this should be a Class A Misdemeanor.

Assault First Degree

Assault Second Degree

From Assault Second Degree:
    (5) With intent to cause physical injury to a teacher or to an employee of a public educational institution during or as a result of the performance of his or her duty, he or she causes physical injury to any person.

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

Wes is on the road, so I told him I’d answer for him. We were told by the Sheriff’s Department that it was Class B. However, that could certainly have just been a slip. We’ll check it out.

• Princess

Smh, It’s okay big cousin. You can’t help he can’t fight but was quick to jack your child up on a wall! Bet he want touch nobody elses kids!

• karamels4

Well, Well, well…the sh** is really going to hit the fan. No one is discussing how the Coaches were jackin these kids up. So, WE get arrested for protecting our children, and for whipping them…but the coaches can handle them however they want. Guess What the coaching staff @ GHS is in for a treat…hold on tight, & buckle your seatbelts!! Now delete this comment like you did the others. Shout out to my cousin “PRINCESS”.

• Whatdoyaknow

Now, what will happen to those kids mentioned? Where will they go to school? Are they still in school at Goshen?

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

There is a longer version of this story coming with information from Dr. Mark Bazzell. But, in the meantime, three of the four kids have withdrawn from Pike County Schools. All will be notified of an administrative hearing for separate disciplinary action. We’ll post another story with more details in a bit. This was just the basic breaking news.

• proudgoshenmom

Wow it seems strange to me that no one else in the locker room saw the coaches “jacking” the kid up as claimed. All I have talked to have had the same story to tell and it certainly wasn’t one of the coach assaulting anyone. Seems to me if the coach did “jack” someone up they would be the one arrested not the parent. Regardless of that this should have NEVER happened. What about all the innocent kids that had to witness the attack on the coach and how upset they were and still are.

• BLOOD

I wish this had not happened too, but it did. Some of those folks need an anger management class. Most children respect and love their coaches despite the occasional scolding. Those coaches might need some de-escalation training. He probably would have been able to diffuse that situation.

• Hilltop

Goshen might need to cancel this season. I can only imagine the potential for more trouble at future home games. I don’t want my tax money to have to pay for all the additional security that will now be required.

• 4ever4theEagles

Really Hilltop cancel the whole season? Your tax dollars paying for more security? For one, the problem children are gone from the team and the school. If they were taught right at home the situation would never of happened, but we all know how one was taught and it shows by his daddy sitting in jail. The rest of the team shouldn’t suffer because of the poor characters of the boys that started the mess. Oh and Hilltop…your tax dollars will be feeding all them in the future when the continue down the same paths they are heading and end up in jail for something even worse.

• showdown482

No way Bart hit a kid or let another coach hit a kid… Sounds like Jason let that temper get out of control again. He can use his legal papers and get out of it… he gets a craxy check so he won’t be charged !!!

• Trojanparents

Sign of the Times= 30 years ago, my dad would have pulled me out of the locker room for disrespecting my team & coaches, then I would have gotten a real beating when I got home. Now, parents, “cousins”, and family members are so quick to justify bad behavior from our youth. They have no accountability, no respect, and lack basic survival skills (and I don’t mean FIGHTING, I mean RESPECT and the ability to function in a social environment). Parents and family members should really be ashamed that YOU are condoning this behavior by these ridiculous posts. Who in their right mind defends behavior like this when you know it is wrong. My child would be humiliated if I had gone into a locker room and behaved this way. Despite the “ways of the world”, this is not cool. If my son were being jerked around by a coach, my first thought is, he probably did something to deserve it!

Hilarious comment above: “I graduated at highest rank” I am assuming you didn’t put “valedictorian”, because you couldn’t spell it?? Most people at “highest rank” know what that rank is called. This is all such b.s.

To the Goshen family and parents, keep your faith and your pride. Only about 2% of people think like these folks on here. Luckily, it is probably contained to their family members. There is no excuse for this & if you had any self-respect, you wouldnt even be on here with this jibberish!

• Trojanparents

Sorry. That highest rank comment was on the other article, not this one. It’s still amusing!

• Princess

That’s right “TROJAN PARENTS,” CHECK THE YEARBOOK I BET YOU FIND ME :)

• tony clifton

These are sad times in Goshen land. The town should get behind Bart. He is a great guy and want find a better man than him. He cant help a few disgruntle players who apparently have no respect for authority bully their way on the team. If they withdrew as the paper indicated Pike Lib could use a few players.

• bamateach

I admire the coaching staff at GHS for removing an unruly player from the sidelines and escorting them to the locker room. You have to have respect to wear the uniform. And it is a AHSAA rule that only sportsman-like activity is to occur at the game, and it is my understanding that the main player in question was not displaying sportsman-like actions. It is a crying shame that a parent, cousin, other family member or friend, would go so low as to assault a faculty member. Teachers and coaches are underpaid as it is, they should NOT have to watch their backs when they are doing their job. Goshen already has quite a bit of security at the games, I am sure this will just change their location and heighten their awareness. There will be no “extra” tax dollars that have to go out to help pay for “added” security. They will realign their forces. How have we come so low as to blame the teacher or coach and NOT the child? I can guarantee that 85-90% of the teachers out there do not make up stories to tell parents, because they have 90 something kids that they teach every day and if they made up stories to tell parents so they could get the child in trouble they’d be so confused. So most likely if a teacher reports an issue with your child, there is one … he or she is not making it up. I guess this situation shows where kids are learning respect from … they’re not!

• Omelas

“How have we come so low as to blame the teacher or coach and NOT the child?”

Given the number of incidents of teacher/coach misconduct, not only across the nation, but locally, I would think that everyone would keep an open mind that either, or multiple parties could be in the wrong.

• Omelas

Oh, and you do realize, do you not, that by asserting that 85-90% of teachers would not, “make up stories to tell parents”, that you are asserting that 10-15% WOULD do so.

If you assume that between the County and City schools, there are ~400 teachers, then you are asserting that 40-60 of them would make up stories about students.

• bamateach

I am fairly certain that in PIKE COUNTY very few if any would make up stories! I for one know that none of the teachers I work with would! We have too much else going on than to make up a story!

• BLOOD

The “pot can’t call the kettle black”. Degrading someone and calling them ignorant is not teaching our children to be kind and refined. We all need to act more mature. I was not in the locker room, but I am concerned. The Jerry Sandusky case went on for years while some folk’s worshiped his nasty behind. I am not taking sides, but we were not there either. The DA and the judge will get to the bottom of this foolishness.

• ducey

These thugs not only were disrespectful on the field but in the classroom, at votech , and on busez. They dont deserve to be in school with kids who actually want to learn. I hope they are never allowed back. Maybe it will send a message to the rest of the trouble making disrespecting thugs.