Suspects flee on foot after high-speed chase

Published 3:42 pm Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

One suspect remained at large Monday evening after a high-speed chase through the downtown Troy.

The chase took place shortly after 11:30 a.m. as officers from Brundidge and Troy tried to stop three suspects in a stolen vehicle.

“It was fast,” said Lt. Bryan Weed of the Troy Police Department. “I’m not sure what the speeds were on Brundidge Street, but the speeds on (U.S.) 231 were excessive.”

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The chase began in Brundidge, when Officer Samuel Mallory received a call about a stolen vehicle. Interim Police Chief Charles Wilson said Mallory made contact with the vehicle on U.S. 231 south of Brundidge, near The Corner Store.

Mallory began follow the stolen vehicle as it headed towards Troy.

“We’d gotten the call about the chase,” Weed said. “We set at the intersections to try and block traffic and get them through without anybody getting hurt.”

However, he said, the excessive speeds prevented Troy police from deploying spikes to try and slow the vehicle.

“We were going to try and use spikes, but they were going so fast we couldn’t get them deployed,” Weed said.

When the suspects reached Troy, they turned off U.S. 231 onto South Brundidge St., with more than half a dozen police vehicles in pursuit.

The suspects hit one vehicle on South Brundidge and kept going until they reached the area near Alphonsa Byrd and Hillside Drive.

“They were lost,” Weed said. “When they got to the end of the road it was a dead end and the just jumped out and started running.”

Troy police were able to capture two of the suspects – one of whom is a juvenile – but the third remained at large, Weed said. Both suspects captured were from Montgomery.

Weed said he could not provide information or identification on the suspects at this time, as they would be processed and charged by Montgomery or Brundidge officials.