Federal grants offer funds for weatherization

Published 8:34 pm Friday, June 12, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Gov. Kay Ivey has awarded grants totaling $3.2 million to assist low-income, elderly and disabled Alabama residents with weatherizing their homes to lower energy costs.

The grants support the Alabama Weatherization Assistance Program, which provides funds to improve the energy efficiency and safety of qualifying homes, said Wanda Moultry, executive director, OCAP Troy.

Priority is given to people with disabilities, the elderly and low-income households with children. Moultry said Gov. Ivey awarded the grants to 14 community agencies across the state that manage the program at the local level and receive applications from individuals who wish to be considered for assistance.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Pike County is among the seven counties that have been allocated $297,745 for the Alabama Weatherization Assistance Program to be managed locally through the Organized Community Action Program in Troy.

To receive an application for the Alabama Weatherization Assistance Program, call the OCAP TROY office at 566-1712 and talk with Annette Shepard, weatherization manager.  She will drop an application in the mail.

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is also available locally.

LIHEAP helps keep families safe and healthy through initiatives that assist families with energy costs, said Cindy Hinton, OCAP Troy services director.

To qualify, an applicant must be 150 percent income qualified based on the Federal poverty level. The applicant must also be the head of the household and must provide proof of income. The awards are based on the household size and income, Hinton said.

LIHEAP also includes a Crisis Program for households that include an individual who is under a doctor’s care, is disabled or has an ongoing medical condition.

Appointments to make application for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be made by calling 566-1712 in Troy beginning June 22 and 403-8472 in Brundidge on June 24.