Summer program ensures kids get lunch
Published 4:52 pm Monday, June 8, 2020
By Lauren Johnson
The Summer Feeding Program for the City of Troy and Pike County is back in full swing. Due to Covid-19, instead of letting the kids sit down at the location sites to eat, the program has made the change to curbside pickup.
The City of Troy program feeds sack lunches to an average of about 400 kids a day. The program started on June 1 and will continue until July 24 at multiple locations.
Jan Baxter Lee, the coordinator of the program for the City of Troy, explained that this feeding program has been around for almost 30 years. “Children still need to be fed, and they need to be fed over the summer. That’s why we do it year in and year out,” Lee said.
For the City of Troy, the pick up sites and times are as follows:
• Antioch Missionary Baptist Church (VBS only/July 13-17) 12:00-1:00
• Boys and Girls Club 11:15-12:15
• CHHS (no Fridays & closed week of July 4th) 10:45-11:45
• Hubbard Street Housing Community11:45-12:45
• Hunter’s Mountain Mobile Home Park 11:15-12:15
• Knox Street Housing Community 11:30-12:30
• McClure Town COGIC 11:00-12:00
• New Beginning Church 12:15-1:15
• Outreach Endtime Deliverance Church 11:00-12:00
• Segars Street Housing Community 11:30-12:30
• Shouting, Dancing, Deliverance COGIC 12:00-1:00
• Troy Elementary School 11:00-12:00
• Youngblood Temple COGIC 11:45-12:45
“We encourage everybody to go to a site and get a meal for your children,” Lee said. It’s a good program and we just want to make sure no child in Troy goes hungry.”
Brooke Terry, the child nutrition director, of the Pike County Summer Feeding Program, explained that along with having curbside pick up they will also be shuttling meals to Meeksville and Springhill.
“I just love to provide and serve the community, and I love working with kids. This is an awesome way to do that,” Terry said.
Since schools were closed, the county program has served 27,566 meals. The county’s summer program will run from June 8 through June 26 and will pick back up July 6 through July 31.
Breakfast and lunch meals are served from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for any child ages 0-18 at no charge. The curbside serving will be at Pike County Elementary and Goshen Elementary.