Courthouse will reopen to public on Monday
The Pike County Courthouse will reopen to the public at 8 a.m. Monday, May 18.
“No matter what else, we serve the public and the public expects us to be open,” said Robin Sullivan, chairman of the Pike County Commission. “That’s what we need to do.”
As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, Pike County had reported 101 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with more than 10,600 confirmed in the state.
The commission will open all county facilities, excluding the Pike County Jail, to the public beginning 8 a.m. Monday and is asking the public to follow these guidelines:
• Limit your visit to only those whose presence is absolutely necessary to conduct County business.
• Adhere to all social distancing measures of maintaining a six foot distance at all times.
• Do not enter the facility if you have a fever or persistent cough.
• We encourage you to wear face masks.
• We encourage you to use the provided hand sanitizer upon entrance of any County facility.
• We encourage the public to continue to use alternate ways of conducting business, such as on-line service and mail options.
“We’re going to do all we can to protect our employees and the public,” Sullivan said. “We have precautions in place and are asking the public to continue to do as much business as possible on line or via mail.”
Sullivan said courts will resume on Monday, as well, and the courtrooms have been roped off to allow for adequate distancing in seating areas.
“We also have marks on the floor for people to stand,” he said. “We’re asking each department head to monitor their areas and take responsibility of they feel it’s getting too crowded.”
And, while the county offices such as Probate Judge, Circuit Clerk, Tax Assessor and Tax Collector are opening to the public, the ALEA driver’s license office will not be open. “That office is operated by ALEA and they will announce when they plan to reopen,” said McKenzie Wilson, county administrator.
If you have any questions, you can reach the following offices at these numbers:
• Board of Registrar’s Office- (334) 566-1757
• Circuit Clerk’s Office- (334) 566-4622
• Probate Office- (334) 566-1246
• Reappraisal Office- (334) 566-7270
• Revenue Commission Office- (334) 566-1792
• Road Department- (334) 566-4508
• Sheriff’s Department- (334) 566-4347