Runoff races set

Published 9:32 pm Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The results still aren’t official, but there is now clarity about the upcoming runoff races.

Many of the races became clear on Tuesday, but the Republican primary to represent Alabama’s 2nd Congressional District was too close to call.

With all 67 counties’ unofficial results in, Barry Moore just edged out Jessica Taylor for second place in the race. Moore received 20.45 percent of the vote with 21,354 votes compared to 19.88 percent for Jessica Taylor, or 20,763 votes.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Taylor conceded the race to Moore on Wednesday.

“While we wait patiently for all the ballots to be counted, I want to offer my congratulations to Barry Moore on his strong finish in this race,” Taylor said in a statement. “At this time, it appears likely that he will be the one to move forward into the run-off.”

Jeff Coleman kept a comfortable lead in the race with 39,738 votes, 38.05 percent of all votes cast. But coming well short of 50 percent, it will now likely be down to Coleman and Moore in a runoff election to be held on March 31.

The result closely matches the way Pike County voted with Jeff Coleman receiving 1,649 votes, 40.02 percent. Taylor finished second in Pike County with 763 votes or 18.52 percent. Troy King came third with 741 votes (14.99 percent) and Moore finished fourth with 693 votes (16.82 percent).

The Republican runoff will also feature the U.S. Senate race, with Jeff Session and Tommy Tubberville squaring off.

Tubberville led a close race statewide on Tuesday, bringing in 33.39 percent of the vote. Sessions finished right behind with 31.65 percent of the vote.

In Pike County, Sessions is the clear favorite. Receiving 1,479 votes for 35.92 percent of votes cast. Tubberville finished second with 1,232 votes, 29.92 percent.

The Democratic race for Alabama’s 2nd Congressional District was decided statewide with Phyllis Harvey-Hall receiving 59.18 percent of the vote. Nathan Mathis received 40.82 percent.

In Pike County, the race was even more in Harvey-Hall’s favor with 1,302 votes, 63.05 percent, going her way. Mathis received the other 36.95 percent of votes, which is equivalent to 763 votes.

Much like Pike County, Alabamians voted overwhelmingly for Joe Biden as the Democratic nominee for President with 63.28 percent of all votes going to him.

Bernie Sanders finished second at just 16.54 percent of the vote.

In Pike County, Biden received an even greater chunk of the vote with 1,786 voters (68.32 percent) filling in his name on the ballot. Sanders was second with 433 votes (16.56 percent).

A statewide amendment that would have changed the Alabama State Board of Education from an elected board to an appointed commission failed overwhelmingly with 75. 13 percent of voters casting their ballot against the amendment.

The runoff election will be held on Tuesday, March 31. All registered voters can participate and there is time to register before the election. Voters who voted in the Republican or Democrat primaries must vote in the runoff of the same party. Residents who did not vote in the primary, or voted the amendment-only ballot can vote in either runoff.