ROAD WORK: Construction begins on Park Street paths

Published 10:42 pm Friday, February 22, 2019

Construction has begun on multi-use sidewalks along Park Street from Madison Street to Elm Street.

Melissa Sanders, planning and zoning administrator, said the project is a critical piece of the Downtown Plan, a guide drafted in 2016 for the revitalization of the area.

“In the bike-pedestrian plan linking Troy University and downtown that we had in the Downtown Plan, this is the only part that did not currently have a sidewalk,” Sanders said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The sidewalk will also make walking in the area easier and safer for residents, Sanders said.

“At the bottom of hill where it crosses over the ravine and drainage area, there will be a railing on outside  on the side closest to the drop off for safety purposes,” Sanders said. “It’s going to do a lot for that part of Elm Street and get the bikers and pedestrians out of that hill on Park Street.”

Sanders said connecting the university to downtown is an important step in bringing a synergy between the two areas.

“It creates an alternative for university students to come downtown other than just driving cars and it gives a healthier alternative for all of our resident to be able to utilize this,” Sanders said.

The multi-use path is being built using the 2016 Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) grant and will allow for better pedestrian and bicycle access from Troy University to downtown.

The project is expected to take approximately 45 working days to complete, which means road work is expected Monday through Friday when weather permits.

Park Street in this area may be reduced to one lane with flagmen to direct traffic during the duration of the project.

City officials are urging residents to be cautious when travelling through the work zone.

“Please continue to watch for pedestrians and slow-moving vehicles,” said Melissa Sanders, planning administrator. “We thank you for your patience during this project as we work hard to improve your city.”

The Troy City Council unanimously approved to award the project to Triple J Construction for $230,379.

The Alabama Department of Transportation will pay 80 percent of the construction costs while the City of Troy will be responsible for the other 20 percent.

They will also split the cost for the engineering services of CDG, which totals $34,698.

The project is one of multiple TAP projects that the city is working on including the construction of more sidewalks downtown.