Brundidge home catches fire

Published 1:01 pm Thursday, January 31, 2019

Bretton Summers had just stepped outside of his Brundidge Residence Thursday morning when he heard a loud pop.

“I was cooking some chicken and taters tots and it was so cold in there, the grease wasn’t warming up very fast,” Summers said. “I stepped outside for just a minute and I heard a loud pop and the window beside me was blown out.”

Summers ran around to the back door and the sliding door and saw heavy black smoke inside the house, so he called the fire department.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

A Mobile resident, Summers said he had been restoring this house to flip and sell at a later date.

“I had brought in new sheetrock and everything,” Summers said. “I had lined the trailer up to the door to move in some cabinets. I was about a month from putting it up on the market. I guess that won’t be happening any more.”

Nobody was inside the home during the fire and Summers said he has no animals. He also said the only real sentimental items inside were some photos stored in a trunk.

Summers said he lost everything to a fire at his home once before, but was lucky that everyone was away from the home a that time as well.

The fire began at approximately 10:45 a.m. at the residence on S.A. Graham Boulevard between U.S. Highway 231 and Main Street.

Firefighters are still on scene and traffic through the area is limited, so drivers are urged to take caution if traveling through the area.

Multiple fire departments were called to the scene to assist in extinguishing the blaze.