Troy Homecoming events start Monday
Troy’s Homecoming Week festivities will officially begin on Oct. 23, with events each day of the week for students and the community to enjoy.
The Trojans will face off against Georgia Southern on Saturday, Oct. 28. Kickoff is 2:30 p.m. in Veterans Memorial Stadium.
This year’s theme is “Falling for Troy,” which Douglas Dick, Student Government Association Vice President of Campus Activities, said was meant to be simplistic and embody what Homecoming could be.
“One of my goals was just to create a more streamlined, simple Homecoming,” Dick said. “I think our Homecoming theme is really simplistic in just celebrating how beautiful the season of fall is, but also just encouraging students to fall more deeply in love with the university that we call home.
“Homecoming can be a time when students fall more deeply in love their university and gain more of an appreciation of how great it is to be a part of the Trojan family.”
According to Dick, the Homecoming committee has a few new events planned for this year, including a Pie Palooza on Tuesday, Oct. 24, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the social quad. This event will include free pie for students and a pie eating contest. The top five Homecoming Queen candidates will also be pied in the face.
A pumpkin carving event will be held on Friday, Oct. 27, on the social quad from 1-3 p.m. before the pep rally in Janice Hawkins Cultural Arts Park at 5 p.m. The Homecoming Parade will begin at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 28.
There are a number of special events planned for alumni as well, said Faith Ward, Director of Alumni Affairs, including the annual reunion for WWII-era alumni, the Alumni of the Year breakfast for all past alumni of year recipients and the Scholarship Ball following the homecoming game.
“For alumni who haven’t been back to the campus in recent years, Homecoming is a great time to see all of the many changes and new additions, and to fall in love with your alma mater all over again,” Ward said.
For more information about alumni events, or to purchase tickets to the Scholarship Ball ($30 each), contact Alumni Affairs at (334) 670-3318.
Other events include:
Monday, October 23rd
- Homecoming Kick-off Event 5 pm @ Bibb Graves Quad
- Who’s Got Sound 6:30 pm @ Bibb Graves Quad
- Street Painting 9 p.m. on University Avenue outside of Sartain Hall
Tuesday, October 24th
- Red Cross Blood Drive day one 9 a.m. – 4 pm @ TC ballrooms
- Pie Palooza 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. @ Social Quad
- Skit Night 7 p.m. @ Trojan Arena
Wednesday, October 25th
- Red Cross Blood Drive day two 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. @ TC ballrooms
- Palladium Pictures 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. @ TC downstairs
- FALL FEST in partnership with Haunted Hill 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. @ Sorority Hill
Thursday, October 26th
- Troy’s 130th Birthday Party 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. @ Trojan Dining
- Tailgate Event 7 p.m. @ Tailgate Terrace
- NPHC Teaser immediately following Tailgate
Friday, October 27th
- Starving and Carving 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. @ Social Quad
- WWII-Era Alumni Reunion, 5 p.m. @ Stadium Club
- Pep Rally 5 p.m. @ Janice Hawkins Cultural Arts Park
- Dance 7 p.m. @ Trojan Arena
- Downtown Concert immediately following dance
Saturday, October 28th
- Alumni of the Year Breakfast, 8 a.m. @ Hawkins-Adams Long Hall of Honor
- Homecoming Parade, 10 a.m. @ downtown Troy
- Tailgating at the Alumni House, 11 a.m.
- Clipson Alumni Chapter Reunion, 11 a.m.
- Trojan Walk @ Tailgate Terrace, 12:15 p.m.
- Pregame show with Sound of the South and Homecoming Court introductions, 2 p.m.
- Homecoming football game against Georgia Southern @ 2:30 PM
- Halftime crowing of Homecoming Queen, Alumni of the Year recognition
- Alumni Scholarship Ball sponsored by Trojan Tailgaters Alumni Chapter, 7 p.m., Trojan Center
The former Regions bank on the Square will now house Troy University’s “IDEA Bank,” a center focused on helping students... read more