Absentee voting now available for Sunday alcohol sales referendum

Published 3:00 am Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Troy residents can now begin voting absentee in the special municipal election that will decide whether alcohol may be sold on Sundays after noon.

City clerk Alton Starling explained the two ways a resident can go about voting absentee.

“They can submit request in writing or walk down here, fill out a form, show a photo ID and vote right here on the spot,” Starling said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

To mail in the ballot, Starling said residents would need to come pick up a ballot from his office and take it and fill it out at home. Instructions will be included on the ballot, but Starling explained some important things to remember when sending the ballot in.

“You have to fill out the ballot and put it inside the envelope and seal it and put that in another affidavit envelope,” Starling said. “That envelope and a photocopy of your ID will need to be placed inside another envelope and sent to my office.”

Starling emphasized that the photocopy of the ID must be outside the affidavit envelope or he will be unable to cast the ballot. A notary or two witnesses must also sign the affidavit.

Starling said he will be mailing information on where each resident should vote on September 26 to avoid confusion with the upcoming primaries for the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions.

The special municipal election will be held Tuesday, October 10. The sole question on the ballot will be “Do you favor the adoption of ACT No. 2017-309, of the Regular Session of the Alabama Legislature authorizing the sale of alcoholic beverages after 12:00 p.m. on Sundays in the City of Troy?”

In order to vote absentee, a qualified voter must:

• be out of the county or state on Election Day,

• have a physical illness or infirmity which prevents his or her attendance at the polls, whether he or she is within or outside the county on the day of election,

• work a shift which has at least 10 hours which coincide with the hours the polls are open at his or her regular polling place,

• be enrolled as a student at an educational institution located outside the county of his or her personal residence which prevents his or her attendance at the polls,

• be a member of, or spouse or dependent of a member of, the armed forces of the United States or be similarly qualified to vote absentee pursuant to the Federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 42 U.S.C. 1973ff, or

• have been appointed as an election officer or named as a poll watcher at a polling place other than his or her regular polling place.

Absentee ballots can be submitted through October 5.

Emergency ballots can be filled out by noon on Election Day in the case of a medical emergency or by the closing of the business day prior to the election in the case of an unforeseen business trip.