City seeks ‘clean up’ teams
Published 3:00 am Saturday, February 11, 2017
Troy’s fourth annual Team Up to Clean-Up campaign is right around the corner to bring residents, businesses, schools, organizations and more together to help clean up the city.
The annual citywide cleanup campaign of Keep Troy Beautiful (KTB) will begin on March 1 and last throughout March and April.
Leigh Anne Windham with the City of Troy and the KTB board said the campaign is one of the most effective ways the organization gets the community involved in their cleanup efforts.
“We do this campaign each year because it’s a great way to get members involved in a project to beautify our town,” Windham said. “We reach out to all kinds of groups in the community and each year it grows a little more and we get more people involved, which is very exciting.”
Windham said it is up to each group to decide which day and place they want to clean up.
“Even a neighborhood of people can choose to clean up their neighborhood on one day,” Windham said. “One business housed in a shopping center chose to clean up that shopping center’s parking lot last year.”
Jennifer Garrett with Piggly Wiggly said that the event gives employees the chance to help the community together.
“We got our families and workers out there to work together to do good for the community,” Garrett said.
Windham said that KTB also wants to get children involved to teach them about keeping their community clean.
“We like to get the kids involved too so we can teach them early how important it is to take pride in your community keep it clean and beautiful,” Windham said. The process for participating is:
• Select an area of Troy for collecting litter
• Pick a date during March 1, 2017 – April 30, 2017 for collecting litter
• Recruit family, friends, neighbors, or co-workers to help you collect litter
• Register your group, location, and date
• Pick up your collection instructions and supplies
• Collect litter on your selected date (be sure to have fun and take pictures!)
• Report your results, return your unused bags and grabbers, and celebrate your good deed.