PCBOE hosts ag academy
Published 3:00 am Thursday, February 18, 2016
Faculty members and students of the Agriscience Academy at Goshen High School were special guests at the Monday meeting of the Pike County Board of Education.
Pike County Superintendent of Education Dr. Mark Bazzell said both the faculty and students did an outstanding job presenting information about the academy. “We appreciated the opportunity to learn more about the academy and were very impressed with the presentation,” Bazzell said.
The board approved the designation of February 20 through 27 as FFA Week.
In new business, the board:
• Approved permission for the Pike County Chamber of Commerce Education Committee to use an activity bus for the Junior Ambassador trip on February 24.
• Approved permission for the Goshen High School Concert Band to perform at the Panama City Beach Music Festival on May 13, contingent on the students not staying overnight and for activities.
• Approved permission for Stacy Freeman, Banks bookkeeper, to attend the AASBO Local School Bookkeeper Professional Development Program, March 7 and 8 in Tuscaloosa.
• Approved permission for Jennifer Hornsby and Rebecca Kelly to attend the AASBO Winter Conference February 7-9 in Tuscaloosa. Retroactive.
• Approved permission for Brooke Terry to attend the Child Nutrition Director’s Spring Conference at the Alabama School Nutrition Association’s meeting, March 10-12 in Montgomery.
• Approved permission for Carolyn Wilson, Lucille Taylor, Virginia Rodgers, Sara Wilson, Annie Reynolds and Karen Langston to attend the Alabama School Nutrition Association’s meeting March 11-13 in Montgomery.
In personnel action, the board:
• = Approved maternity leave for Ashley Johnston, Pike County Elementary School.
• Approved military leave for Sharonda Hunter, Pike County Elementary School.
•Approved employment of Joshua Coates, bus driver.
• Approved Thomas Murray Austin as volunteer coach, varsity basketball, Goshen High School.