Family still seeking closure after father murders son
Published 3:00 am Wednesday, February 4, 2015
A Goshen woman’s 15-month search for closure in the death of her son continues.
Hours before Sammy Jackson was set to stand trial for murder and attempted murder in the April 2013 shooting that left his 18-year-old son dead and another son injured, prosecutors agreed to another mental evaluation of the elder Jackson.
And that left Carolyn Jackson disappointed on Tuesday morning.
“There’s just a whole year that’s gone by since my son Sammy’s death, and it’s upsetting that he is just out (on bond),” Jackson said. “Now, he’s trying to act like he’s insane, and we know he’s not insane. We just want some closure.”
The District Attorney’s office filed paperwork to allow the examination of the elder Jackson at 9 p.m. Monday. Jury selection had been scheduled for Tuesday morning.
The prosecutor’s decision came less than a week after defense attorney Sam Dixon filed a motion for a competency hearing to determine if Jackson is mentally fit to stand trial.
Jeff Moore with the District Attorney’s Office said the inpatient mental evaluation would bring more answers than the two previous evaluations, which offered differing information.
“Both of those were done on an outpatient basis, so it’s the District Attorney’s thought that we would be better served if we had a long-term commitment patient evaluation to truly to determine his sanity and his ability to stand trial,” More
Carolyn Jackson said friends and family members were coming together Sunday to honor her son’s life on what would have been his 20th birthday. Carolyn said attendees to the celebration would release balloons and hold a candlelight vigil.
And, even though a more than a year has passed, Carolyn said she still struggles with the loss of her son.
“He was an angel to everybody,” Carolyn said. “Everybody that came across him loved him, and they still talk about him. I just want to get justice for his death.”