Brundidge council approves water treatment resloutions

Published 11:50 pm Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Brundidge City Council gave its nod Tuesday to three resolutions, all related to the city’s proposed $1.9 million long range project to improve the city’s wastewater treatment facilities.

The Council voted to authorize an energy grant application in the amount of $10,000 through ADECA (Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs).

Britt Thomas, city manager, said the grant is designed to conserve energy at wastewater treatment plants.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

ADECA will award four $10,000 grants statewide and this particular grant does not provide for administrative cost. The City would have to provide the funds necessary for the writing of the grant application, $750, and $1,750 for the administration of the grant, as set by Monroe and Associates.

The Council voted at its Aug. 5 meeting to move ahead with the grant application.

On Tuesday, the Council voted to give Mayor Jimmy Ramage the authority to execute all the necessary documents to apply for the grant.

“There are no guarantees that we will be funded,” Ramage said. “However, the City has a good track record regarding energy grants and we’ve successfully completed the ones we have received.”

Ramage said all the City is investing in the grant process at this time is $750.

“The grant can only be used at the Brundidge Wastewater Treatment Plant,” he said. “If the grant is awarded, it will help us along on our long range wastewater treatment plan.”

The Council also approved a resolution for administrative services for a CDBG infrastructure grant and for engineering services, also for the infrastructure CDBG.

The $173,438 grant will be used to finance the construction of sewer upgrades to meet Southern Classic Food Group’s increased demand due to new expansion. The City will commit $34,688 in local funds to meet the match requirement for the grant.

In other business, the Council declared a City’s police car, a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria, surplus property. As surplus property, the vehicle may be sold through proper channels.

The Brundidge City Council meets at 4 p.m. on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at Brundidge City Hall. All meetings are open to the public.