Second hayfield fire in a week at property
Published 8:55 pm Friday, August 15, 2014
A hayfield fire was re-ignited after a week Friday afternoon.
After a mechanical failure on a hay bailer last Thursday, Aug. 8, 25 hay bales were lost to a blaze in the field of Louie Courson.
The Henderson Volunteer Fire Department, along with the Goshen Volunteer Fire Department and Spring Hill, responded to calls last Thursday after a broken bearing caused sparks that spread to the field.
The fire departments worked to contain the fire from spreading to the uncut section of the field.
For the second time in a week, the hay field on County Road 2262 caught fire Friday afternoon. The Goshen Volunteer Fire Department were the only responders as neighbors of Courson worked to remove hay bales out of fire’s harm with a tractor.
Mark Miley, with the Goshen Volunteer Fire Department, suspected the blaze was a continuation from the previous fire last Thursday. Miley said hay bails could occasionally take up to a week to re-smolder.
“They’re packed so tight that a lot of times it’ll burn in the middle and smoke a little before it gets enough oxygen to smoke back up,” Miley said.
Roughly 10 hay bales were lost in Friday’s fire. Miley said a bale of hay could profit a farmer anywhere from $35 to $55 depending on the quality.
The fire was contained shortly after its ignition Friday afternoon.
The bales were allowed to burn out on their own.