High school copes with news of student shooting

Published 9:19 pm Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A few days and a few surgeries have passed since Charles Henderson High School student Jacquerean Marshall was shot, but Trojans are still trying to come to grips with the news.

“There were some that were tearful, grieving about the incident,” said Principal Boyd English. “We were in shock, and our hearts go out to Jacquerean and his family.”

Marshall, a rising senior and member of the high school’s football team, was shot during an incident that took place around 8 p.m. Saturday in the 100 block of Aster Avenue.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Brady McCoy, Charles Henderson head football coach and athletic director, has been in touch with Marshall’s family. He has also done what he could for his players.

“We brought in Lonnie Cochran (Troy Athletics chaplain) to talk to the guys and I talked to them as well. We all joined in prayer for Jacquerean and his family. Charles Henderson is all united to do whatever it takes to see him make a full recovery,” McCoy said.

Richard McBryde’s favorite memories of his teammate were Marshall’s attempts to persuade him to go to the University of Miami.

“He’s a big Miami fan and a big leader on the O-line,” he said. “Jacquerean has always been a smart guy on the field and in the class. I just want everybody to keep him in their prayers.”

McBryde had a message for Marshall from him, the team and the entire senior class, “We love you, Jacquerean, and will keep you in our prayers.”

An 18-year-old male has been charged with assault in the first degree in connection with the incident, but Troy Police would not release his name. “He may be eligible for status as a youth offender,” said Lt. Bryan Weed, public information officer. “It’s not a Class A felony.”

Investigators are still trying to piece together what happened, gaining permission from parents to question minors who may have seen what happened. They said the case remains under investigation and have only said several people were in the house when the incident occurred.

“I don’t want to try the kid in the paper,” said Weed. “Right now, our biggest concern is to not hamper the case and let it be tried and held in court.”

The suspect had his initial appearance before Judge William Hightower. No court date has been set, but an attorney has been appointed to represent the 18-year-old.

Weed said the case was still under investigation and the biggest piece of the puzzle would come from Marshall.

“At the end of the day, you have a kid sitting in Birmingham with a really serious injury,” Weed said. “Hopefully, the victim keeps improving and we can talk with him.”