Wreck claims man’s life

Published 8:59 pm Monday, June 23, 2014

For the second year time in 13 months, a Pike County resident has died in a car crash on County Road 3304.

In April 2013, Timothy H. Green, 34, and Timothy Blake Green, 14, were pronounced dead at the scene of a crash that injured three others.

On Saturday night a single-vehicle crash claimed the life of Willie Frank “Willie Bob” Edwards, 50.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“They (the crashes) weren’t in the same place, but were on the same road,” said family friend Sharon Kirkland.

She will officiate Edwards’ funeral services this afternoon.

Edwards’ wreck happened on CR 3304 about halfway between State Highway 87 and U.S. Highway 231. The road is used as a “cut through” road between U.S. 231 and Elba Highway. The north end of the road meets U.S. 231 across from the Pike County Cattlemen’s Complex. The south end of the road meets Elba Highway just south of the Mossy Grove Schoolhouse Restaurant.

Troopers said Edwards was not wearing a seatbelt when the 2007 Ford F-150 truck he was driving overturned, ejecting him into the roadway. He died at the scene. The crash occurred at 9:09 p.m. The wreck is still under investigation.

Kirkland described Edwards as a loving family man. He had a daughter, Tiffany, and a nephew, Bobby Joe Edwards, who was like a son to him. Bobby Joe Edwards’ daughter, Robyn, was one of the three survivors in last year’s wreck.

“I know he was a good, loving person,” Kirkland said. “There’s nothing he wouldn’t do for you. He loved his family.”

Willie Bob Edwards was a longtime employee of Murphree Bridge. “He was a good employee. We’re going to miss him, of course,” said Andy Murphree. According to Edwards’ obituary, he enjoyed drag racing, collecting guns, gardening and canning.

Funeral services will be held today at 3 p.m. from the chapel of Green Hills Funeral Home. Burial will follow in the Green Hills Memorial Cemetery with Green Hills Funeral Home directing. Visitation was held Monday evening at the funeral home and will also be held one hour prior to the service.