Persistent rain suspends play to weekend for CHHS, C’Burg

Published 10:31 pm Friday, May 9, 2014

John Michael Stephens got the start, and worked two innings on Friday. (Photo/Ryan McCollough)

John Michael Stephens got the start, and worked two innings on Friday. (Photo/Ryan McCollough)

CHILDERSBURG, Ala. — In the first two innings on Friday’s AHSAA semifinal game against Childersburg, Charles Henderson weathered a storm of bad breaks and tough luck.

However, the Trojans rebounded in the top of the third to plate six runs before a different type of storm brought a halt to the day’s activities.

A massive rain system moved across Alabama Friday afternoon, and forced the Friday doubleheader to be moved to Saturday.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Charles Henderson held a 6-1 in the top of the third when the play stoppage was called.

“We talk about controlling things we can control all the time,” Charles Henderson head coach Derek Irons said. “The weather is probably the No. 1 thing you can’t control. It’s not a lot of fun, because you get all excited and focused on the game and now we have to sit for a while.”

After falling behind 1-0 in the first inning, Charles Henderson exploded for six runs in the top of the third.

Hunter Baggett doubled in Cole Wilson to start the scoring, but junior catcher Chase Smartt delivered the biggest shot of the inning.

Smartt sent a hanging breaking ball deep over the left center field wall for a two-run homer. The ball easily sailed over the porch in left center, and nearly cleared a row of trees located deep beyond the fences.

Irons didn’t see the long homer land, because he said he didn’t have to.

“I was looking back at John (Johnson) who was tagging up at second,” said Irons. “I didn’t see where it went, but I saw it leave the bat and knew it was well hit. Most of the time when Chase hits one solid, it is going to somewhere in a hurry.”

Smartt wasn’t the only Trojan to go yard in the inning.

Two batters later, Xavius Burden hit a homer to right field that clanked off the top of the fence and bounced over for the two-run four bagger.

“I really, really like the way our guys responded there in the top of the third,” said Irons. “Not a whole lot went right for us in the first two inning, but this group never got their heads down. They kept fighting and rallied back.”

The series will resume at 1:30 P.m. Saturday. As of press time, it is unknown where the games will be played. If the field in Childersburg is unplayable, the games will be moved to Vestavia Hills High School in suburban Birmingham.