Need for blood donors never takes vacation
Published 11:00 pm Friday, August 9, 2013
Are you willing to roll up your sleeve and help?
Representatives of LifesSouth will be in town Tuesday and Sunday, Aug. 18, seeking volunteers to donate blood. And they are busy reminding folks now how vitally important these donations are. Consider these facts from the American Red Cross:
1. Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood, requiring more than 38,000 units per day. Of those, 600 per day are needed in Alabama and the Central Gulf Coast Region.
2. Although about 38 percent of the people in our region are eligible, less than 8 percent actually give blood.
3. Each donation can save up to three lives.
4. The average adult has about 10 pints of blood in the body. Only one pint is taken during donation, and the plasma is replaced within 24 hours. The red blood cells are replenished within 4 to 6 weeks.
5. And, it bears repeating: each donation can save up to three lives.
Think about it: A half hour of your time, a free mini-physical, a donation conducted with safe, sterile equipment and a live-saving gift available for times of crisis.
The summer months are difficult for those tasked with collecting blood donations. Vacations, activities and more distract people and supplies run low.
But the demand doesn’t take a vacation. Transfusions are needed daily, hourly even, and we must have the supplies necessary to help when needed.
Please consider how you can help by making a donation.