ATRIP funds are good news for Pike County

Published 11:00 pm Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Well, it’s good news for PIke County.

The county will receive another $2.1 million in ATRIP funding.

The funding, announced by Gov. Robert Bentley on Wednesday, is part of the billion-dollar Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

It provides funding for road and bridge improvement projects across the state and, according to the governor, is “improving public safety and … helping attract more jobs.”

The ATRIP funds cover 80 percent of eligible road construction costs; local governments are required to chip in the remaining 20 percent. During the first two years of the project, 693 road and bridge improvement projects were funded.

And while some counties – such as Madison with its $82.7 million in funds – are making massive overhauls, places like Pike County are benefitting, as well. Over the course of the three-year program, we’ll benefit from $12.46 million in state funds. These funds already have provided dozens of roads and repairs bridges throughout the county, including some $9.8 million worth of road repairs announced in February.

Much of this work would not have been possible without the influx of state funding through the ATRIP program, and that’s important to remember.

Roads and bridges are expensive to maintain, and for many counties in Alabama struggling with limited tax revenues, those challenges can be daunting.

We’re glad Pike County is able to benefit from these ATRIP funds.