Pike County Schools hires new Banks principal
Published 9:42 am Friday, July 19, 2013
There’s a new principal at Banks Primary School.
Lee Scott was officially hired at Thursday night’s Pike County Schools Board of Education meeting.
“My experience in Pike County Schools has been marvelous. It’s a great system,” Scott said, noting that she is excited to join the Banks School family.
“It’s an exceptional community and I’m looking forward to serving the students, faculty and the community of Banks.”
Scott, who is from Troy and is a Troy University graduate, has served the last three years as assistant principal of Goshen Elementary School.
Also at the meeting, Superintendent Dr. Mark Bazzell told board members that the school system’s facilities were “almost ready” for the beginning of the school year.
“The capital projects are moving along on schedule,” Bazzell said, noting that the art building for Pike County High School should be complete shortly before school starts.
Bazzell also said that the Goshen High School gymnasium should be finished ahead of the previously estimated November completion date.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the request from PCHS Band Director Jimmy Oliver to take the school’s jazz band to the adjudicated Festival Disney competition in Orlando on March 7 to be paid for by fund raising.
• Approved the extension of the deceleration/storage lane at Goshen Elementary School for $39,388 with $10,000 paid for by the board and the remainder paid by the Pike County Commission.
• Approved the overnight stays for Jessica Tatum and Regina Catrett to attend an Autism workshop in Birmingham to be paid for by Special Education funds.
• Approved the Goshen Volleyball program to attend a camp at Wallace State-Hanceville on July 29 to be paid for by the volleyball program.
• Approved the resignation of Carrie Ramos, math teacher at GES, Sylvania Brundidge as science teacher at PCHS, and Torie Hopkins as teacher at Pike County Schools.
• Approved the hiring of Deborah Long as English teacher at GHS, Lena Lindsey as guidance counselor at GHS, LatTasha Vaughn as fifth-grade teacher at GES, Cheryl Harrel Nowell as seventh- and eighth-grade math teacher at GHS, and Jim Bledsole as social studies teacher at PCHS.
• Approved the voluntary transfer of Mike Waters from social studies teacher to health teacher at PCHS.
• Approved the re-employment of Brittany Gilmer as science teacher at PCHS and Kristina Mays as Spanish teacher at Banks Middle School.
• Approved the request for Ann Renee Bentley to attend AMSTI training in Birmingham on July 15 to be paid for with Title I funds.