Rain, rain, go away

Published 11:00 pm Friday, July 5, 2013

Cortland Peed replaces a flag that had fallen due to winds at Bicentennial Park.

Cortland Peed replaces a flag that had fallen due to winds at Bicentennial Park.

Flash flood warning continues through Sunday

It was a soggy July 4 for Pike County with a flood warning that continues through tomorrow.

A “tropical airmass” brought several rounds of heavy rainfall to Alabama this week, saturating the ground and spurring some light flooding.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The parade in Meeksville went on as planned on July 4 with rain-drenched parade marchers and riders smiling the whole way. Fireworks in Troy, however, had to be rescheduled until tonight.

The National Weather Service said early Friday morning that periods of heavy rain could result in additional widespread rainfall of 2 to 4 inches in the area. Rainfall totals at the Troy Airport Friday morning registered a little more than 2 inches over the last three days.

“Low lying areas, roadways, waterways and areas that can’t hold large amounts of additional rainfall will all be in danger of flash flood conditions,” said Pike County Emergency Management Agency Director Jeanna Barnes.

Barnes said extra precaution is needed when driving during rainy conditions, especially if areas are flooded.

“If you can’t see the roadway, then you do not need to attempt to drive through the water,” Barnes said. “Turn around, don’t drown.”

While there were no major accidents reported in Pike County due to rain, there were two crashes Friday morning that tied up traffic. Two tractor trailers traveling south on U.S. Highway 231 about eight miles from the Montgomery County line collided and blocked southbound traffic. The trucks were carrying hazardous materials and crews were called to the scene to clean up. Another wreck Friday morning on U.S. Highway 231 near Lowe’s in Troy kept traffic at a crawl as the scene was cleared.

The NWS predicted an 80 percent chance of showers today, a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms tonight, and a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms Sunday.

“Check frequently for advisories, watches, warnings and forecasts from the National Weather Service,” Barnes said, noting that weather radios, apps, websites and text notifications are all ways to stay on top of changing weather. “Pike EMA will be posting updates as frequently as possible”

Like Pike County EMA on Facebook, or follow them on Twitter to receive important weather updates.