Two found guilty on all charges in Troy home invasion

Published 6:04 pm Thursday, March 14, 2013

A jury returned guilty verdicts after only 30 minutes of deliberation Thursday in the trial of two people who were accomplices in a violent home invasion last March.

Deanna McLeod and Parrish Bean, both now 21, were each found guilty of one count of first-degree burglary and two counts of first-degree robbery.

McLeod and Bean were found to have aided and abetted Thomas White during a home invasion on March 5, 2012 by driving him to a neighborhood when they knew he had a gun and planned to rob someone.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Testimony from police and statements given to law enforcement officers by Bean and McLeod showed that the two waited for about two hours, even after they heard sirens, to retrieve White from the crime scene.


During the home invasion, White kicked in the front door of a sleeping couple’s home shortly after 1 a.m. and terrorized them at gunpoint while the couple gathered cash, debit cards, car keys and even their wedding rings in an attempt to appease the intruder.

However, White turned even more violent, hitting the male victim in the head with the .410 sawed-off shotgun he brought to the crime.

About 30 minutes after White entered the couple’s home, they made the decision to fight for their lives. The male victim grabbed for White’s gun and a physical fight that lasted about another half hour occurred, according to testimony heard this week during the trial.

Kitchen knives became involved in the struggle and all three people suffered extensive knife wounds.

The couple each had to undergo surgeries for their injuries and Thomas White later died while at the Troy Regional Medical Center.

Defense attorneys called their first and last witness to the stand on Thursday – Jacobi Bean, Parrish Bean’s brother. He was only asked questions concerning how a woman who had been doing drugs with White earlier got home on March 5, 2012. The defense hoped to prove to the jury that the crime began on a trip to return the woman to her home, not during a separate and deliberate trip.

Bean and McLeod exercised their right not to testify on Thursday.

District Attorney Tom Anderson, Assistant District Attorney John Folmar and defense attorneys Susan James and Jeff Duffy gave closing arguments that lasted about two hours before the jury deliberated.

“They knew what was going on. They dropped [White] off. They waited for his phone call,” Folmar said.

James argued that Bean and McLeod weren’t responsible for White’s actions.

“This was a spontaneous thing,” she said. “This was no common scheme or plan.”

Anderson responded that White got out of the car McLeod was driving with gloves, a ski mask, a shotgun and ammunition.

“And they didn’t have a clue?” Anderson asked. “They were in the middle of it the entire time.”

After the guilty verdicts were returned, Anderson said the sentences the state pursues for Bean and McLeod will be “substantial,” which could mean life imprisonment.

A sentencing hearing for the pair is expected to be in April or May, according to retired Circuit Judge Bill Barr who presided over the trial.