Brundidge family needs help from community after devastating fire

Published 11:00 pm Monday, December 17, 2012

While a Brundidge family was at church Friday night, their home caught on fire. As they arrived at their house on Leona Place, flames were already coming from the roof.

“The first thing that came to mind was the dog,” said Ernest Christian. “I ran in there and was able to get him out, but there were flames. I think he was affected by the fire. He seems sick, now.”

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

By the time firefighters arrived on scene about 11:30 p.m., the Christian’s home was too far gone. The family lost everything.

“I think our biggest concern is really having somewhere to stay,” Christian said, noting that the family had been living in a hotel. “Our checkout is Tuesday. After Tuesday, we have no home to go to.”

Christian and his wife have two girls and two boys who range in age from 11 to 16.

“They are just a beautiful family,” said Tinika Jones, who attends church with the Christians. “They are heartwarming people. They are free giving. They love God and are a delight to be around. It is heartbreaking about the fire.”

Jones and other people at the Jesus Christ Church of God the Bibleway are working to spread the news about the family’s loss in hopes the community will come to their aid.

“They really care about people,” Jones said. “It would be nice to see people help because the family is very giving, themselves.”

Those who would like to make a donation of food, clothing, shelter or money to aid the Christian family should call the church at (334) 735-0499.

“Whatever people would like to do, we are very appreciative,” Christian said. “We are just in a spot where we can’t do anything.”

The Brundidge Volunteer Fire Department, along with Banks and Hamilton Crossroads Volunteer Fire Departments, CARE Ambulance, Brundidge Police and the Pike County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene.