Program uses the pay-it- forward concept

Published 11:00 pm Thursday, April 12, 2012


Paying it forward is an interesting concept and it’s one that has been adopted by the TroyFest committee to ensure the participation of high-quality artists and craftsmen at the TroyFest April 28 and 29 and also offers the community a way to support the festival with shopping dollars.

The Jean Lake Purchase Program is named in memory and honor of Troy artist, Jean Lake, whose primitive artwork is cherished by collectors all across the country.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“When participating in the Jean Lake Purchase program, you can donate money to TroyFest in increments of $50 and receive 90 percent of your donation back in TroyFest Bucks,” said Morgan Drinkard, committee member. “The other 10 percent is used to support the festival in different ways. Festival expenses include advertising and promotions, the artists’ hospitality area and the cash prize awards for the kids’ art show.”

The Jean Lake Purchase Program also helps attract many of the area’s most ourstanding artists and craftsmen to TroyFest.

“What the TroyFest Bucks do is guarantee that a certain amount of money will be spent at the show,” Drinkard said. “If $5,000 in TroyFest Bucks are purchased, that means that $5,000 will be spent at the show. The gurantee of dollars to be spent is an incentive to the artists. It’s not a guarantee to an artist that some of those dollars will be spent with him or her but they know the dollars will be spent.”

By participating in the Jean Lake Purchase Program, local residents can show their support of TroyFest.

“When you purchase TroyFest Bucks you are saying that you believe in TroyFest and want to see it grow,” Drinkard said. “Participating in the program also allows you to be named a ‘Friend of Jean Lake’ and you will receive your own Patron Award to give to any artist of your choice. “

Support of TroyFest is good and that is evident in its continued growth.

“This year, 80 artists and craftsmen will participate,” Drinkard said. “Including food vendors and the community corner, we’ll have more than 100 vendors. It will be a great festival. We encourage everyone to participate in the Jean Lake Purchase Program and join the fun of shopping with TroyFest Bucks at TroyFest.”

TroyFest Bucks are available at the Pike County Chamber of Commerce on the square in downtown Troy. Leigh Ann Windham is the program chair.