Banks grads give gift
Published 9:36 pm Monday, May 16, 2011
The Banks Junior High School Class of 1964 held its 47th class reunion at Campbell Plantation in Banks on Saturday night.
About 30 former classmates gathered to remember the good ol’ days and catch up on the what and where of the Class of ’64.
When all of the reunion expenses were paid, the classmates decided to donate the surplus of $380 to Banks School to be used for teacher classroom supplies.
The donation was the first order of business at the Pike County Board of Education meeting Monday night.
Classmates Ed Brown, Larry Ross, Joyce Turner, Cathi Steed and Linda Steed presented the donation from the Banks School Class of 1964 to the board. Dr. Kenneth Bynum, Banks School principal, expressed appreciation to the Class of 1964 from the faculty and students.
Several personnel requests were approved by the board at Monday’s meeting, which included the retirement of Elizabeth Radford effective July 1, 201.
The board also approved the request for leave of absence for the 2011-2012 school year for Shondra Whitaker from Goshen High School and the request for catastrophic leave, Sick Leave Bank and Family Medical Leave for Mary Disney.
The board approved the employment of Virginia Rodgers as CNP manager at Pike County Elementary School beginning Aug. 1, 2011.
The non-renewal of a certified probationary employee was also approved.
The board worked from a rather lengthy agenda to take care of routine business, which included the awarding of the bid for re-roofing of the Troy-Pike Career Technology Center to K.C. Construction of Dothan.
Dr. Mark Bazzell, superintendent of schools, said the bids came in higher than expected, at $245,553.
“That was probably due to the tornadoes in North Alabama,” he said. “But I’ve talked with David Helms (Troy City Schools) and the thinking is that if we rebid the job, it could be even higher. The Troy Board will meet on this tonight (Monday) and the cost of the project will be split between the two schools.”
The board approved one-year extensions of the original bid price from Petroleum Energy Products Company, Allied Waste Services and Dowdle Gas.
The board also approved increase in the student, adult and al-al-carat meal prices for the school year 2011-2012.
Approval was given for the Child Nutrition Program to change from Nutrient Standard-based menus to Food Based menu planning beginning July 1, 2011.
The board awarded the bid for bread for the Child Nutrition Program to Sara Lee and for milk to Dairy Fresh for the 2011-2012 school year.
The bid for the pest control for the Child Nutrition Program went to Meeks Termite and Pest Control for the 2011-2012 school year.
The board also approved:
• The request for Dr. Mark Head to attend the CLAS Conference in Montgomery June 18-22 and the Alabama Education Mega Conference in Mobile July 17-22.
• The request for the FFA officers to take an overnight trip to the State FFA Convention June 8-10 in Montgomery and also approved the Equine Career Development Team Competition in Auburn on June 7.
• The request for SFC Young to attend the 6th Brigade In-Service Training June 27-30 in Choctaw, Mississippi.
• The request for SFC Young and Major Morris to attend the Junior Cadet Leadership Camp/Summer Camp at Ft. McClellan June 5-10. Ten cadets and both instructors will attend. Travel expenses will be shared with Charles Henderson High School.
• The request for Stephanie Snyder, Daniel Reeves, Donnella Carter, Kim Head, Darrell Battles, Gentry Hassett, Kim Dunn and LaToya Gay to attend the Alabama Education Technology Conference in Birmingham June 14-16. All expenses will be paid by EETT Title II-D Competitive Grant Funds.