Ice ahead? Forecast calls for freezing temps, rain

Published 7:46 pm Friday, January 7, 2011

The fickleness of Mother Nature could alter the weather predictions for Sunday and Monday but, if not, Pike Countians could experience an uncommon ice event.

Jeanna Barnes, Pike County EMA director, said the winter weather system that is expected to bring significant precipitation to Pike County should impact the area between 6 p.m. Sunday and 3 a.m. Monday but will still be ongoing throughout the day Monday, tapering off into evening.

“On Monday from Montgomery south, the day could start with freezing rain/snow and then transition to freezing rain/ice,” Barnes said. “Pike County could see less than an inch of snow and one-fourth inch of ice. The forecast will be adjusted as the system nears. It really depends on the track the low takes as to where the bands of snow and ice will set up.”

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Officials of the local school systems will be monitoring the weather conditions and will communicate plans to parents and students on Sunday evening or early Monday morning.

Dr. Mark Bazzell, superintendent of Pike County Schools, said the system’s transportation and technology personnel are on standby and ready to make any adjustments to the transportation schedule.

“As we monitor the weather conditions, we will make a decision as to whether to delay the opening of school on Monday or close school for the day,” Bazzell said. “Our technology individuals will be responsible for getting information out to our parents and faculty through our emergency system.”

Bazzell said he and Dr. Linda Felton-Smith, superintendent of Troy City Schools, have been in contact with each other and will continue to talk over the weekend as weather conditions are updated.

Felton-Smith said, too, that a decision will be made on Sunday or possibly early Monday as to the delay or cancellation of classes on Monday.

“The hope is that, if we get ice, conditions would improve early and allow us to delay the start of school rather than cancel the school day,” she said. “But the decision that we make will be in the best interest of students and parents.”

The superintendents said delaying the school day would eliminate the necessity for a makeup day.

Ceil Sikes, headmaster at Pike Liberal Arts School, said that she, too, is monitoring the weather conditions closely and will make a decision prior to 6 a.m. Monday.