Fairview Street residents asked to be wary following rash of break-ins, burglaries

Published 10:05 pm Wednesday, August 18, 2010

After two break-ins within a three-week span, Troy Police are asking residents in the Fairview Street area to be wary of suspicious people.

“We’re asking anybody with information about suspicious persons in that area to contact us,” said Sgt. Benny Scarbrough. “They can call the police department at 566-0500 or the secret witness line at 566-5555.”

Scarbrough said two residences in the 300 and 400 blocks of the street were burglarized during the past 21 days.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The first burglary, which occurred July 25, took place between 9:15 and 11:30 a.m. that day. Among the items taken were a television and a firearm.

The second burglary, which occurred Aug. 14, took place between 11:30 a.m. and 10:45 p.m. Televisions, firearms and computers were stolen, among other items.

“We’ve entered the serial numbers from the stolen property into the NCIC computer, so we should get a hit if somebody tries to pawn them,” Scarbrough said.

Meanwhile, police are asking residents to be aware of their surroundings and the people in their neighborhood. “We need the assistance of people not just telling us what happened, but reporting to us (if they see anything suspicious),” Scarbrough said.

Also, he said police encourage residents to keep thorough records of their valuable items, particularly anything with a serial number or identification numbers. “We ask people to make sure they write those numbers down and have them,” Scarbrough said.

The Troy Police Department has a pamphlet titled “Operation Information” available to the public. It provides information on what to document and how to document it, as well as place for homeowners to list details about their property.

“You can fill in all your information, down to your credit card numbers,” Scarbrough said. “It’s something I would put in my safety deposit box.”

Scarbrough said anyone interested in obtaining a copy of that pamphlet can contact him at the police department.