Alleged threats remain issue
A student suspected of making terrorist threats had not returned to school as of Tuesday, and officials say the investigation continues.
Troy Police Spokesman Sgt. Benny Scarbrough said a student at Charles Henderson High School was taken into the department’s custody Thursday after he was reported to have made terrorist threats.
Students say the threats were related to blowing up the school.
Troy City Schools Superintendent Linda Felton-Smith, CHHS Principal David Helms and law enforcement said they could not say specifically what the threat was until the investigation is complete.
“The investigation is ongoing with the Troy Police Department into the allegations the student did make threatening remarks at school,” Helms said.
Some CHHS students said they heard of those threats, as word circulated throughout the school last week.
“I heard a kid was going to blow up the school at the Black History program,” said Kane Meredith, an 11th grade student.
For Meredith, the threats were nothing more than that.
“I wasn’t concerned about it,” he said.
Tenth-grader Ronnell Moore said he didn’t take the threats too seriously either, describing them as “just talking.”
Scarbrough would not comment on whether the student remained in custody.
Felton-Smith said he has not returned to school yet, and potential disciplinary action will be determined once the investigation is complete.
“No final decision has been made from the school’s standpoint,” she said.
Helms said safety is of top importance at CHHS.
“Our utmost priority is to make sure we have safe schools and environments conducive to teaching and learning,” Helms said. “That’s everyone’s first priority, and I think we have that.”
There are about 600 students at CHHS, Helms said.