Fire damages home

Published 8:44 pm Friday, February 12, 2010

A late afternoon fire damaged a house on Hampton Avenue on Friday.

“I heard screaming, then I smelled (the fire). Next thing I know, the fire trucks are here,” said Jason Peters.

The fire occurred around 6 p.m. at the home of Carla and Jason Oswald in the 600 block of Hampton Avenue.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Oswald said she and her husband were in the house with their two children and two cats when the fire started.

“I think the fire was started by an electrical problem in the play room,” said Oswald. “There was a lot of damage.”

The Fire Department had the fire contained within minutes of arriving on the scene.

“I have to hand it to Troy Fire Department,” said Bob Whaley, who lives across the street from the Oswalds, “they got out here quick.”

Nobody was injured in the fire.