Troy Council offers BOE new home at $770K

Published 8:45 pm Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Troy City Schools system will have to decide whether funds are available to acquire the location it seeks for a new home.

At the end of February, Troy City Schools Superintendent Linda Felton-Smith officially requested negotiations with the city of Troy over a portion of what was once the Army Reserve Center.

Council members read the resolution in their meeting March 10, saying the appraisal was valued at $770,000, but they deferred making a decision on how much to sell the property to the school system.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Troy Mayor Jimmy Lunsford told Felton-Smith Tuesday the city would ask the total appraised amount for the sale.

But, since the property would be used as a new home for the Troy Board of Education, Lunsford said the city would take the value of the BOE property to bring some of the price down.

“If we have an appraisal there, we’d be happy to reduce it by that amount,” Lunsford said. “We are in a bind as everyone else is.”

Felton-Smith said she would have to review funds before making a decision. If the building is purchased, it will come from grant moneys, Felton-Smith said previously.

The Troy BOE will meet Monday night, and Felton-Smith said she hopes to have reached a decision by then.

There is even a chance council members may be able to act prior to that, if a decision is reached before their continued meeting Monday at noon.

“At this point in time, I’m not prepared to make a statement as to whether we will or not,” Felton-Smith said.

Also in its meeting, the council agreed to tap into a portion of discretionary funds to begin expansion on the runway at Troy Municipal Airport.

Lunsford said he wanted to be clear nothing beyond the current fence line going toward the church located there will be harmed as the project begins.

The council also denied a liquor license to Star Café, located where Club Paradise once stood.

District 2 Councilman Charles Meeks motioned for denial, based on opposition from residents in the area.

“In the past, when we’ve had this many opposed, we’ve always denied it,” Meeks said.

The next council voted to continue its meeting until Monday at noon to discuss the Army Reserve property and an agreement with the hospital.