Troy back even

Published 10:54 pm Tuesday, January 6, 2009

She may not have scored any points through the entire game, but when her team needed her Larelle Roper stepped up and led her team to victory.

Roper nailed two free throws and converted on a steal and score to put the Troy women’s basketball team up 10 points with one minute to go in the team’s 62-53 victory over FAU Tuesday night at Trojan Arena.

“Believe me I was very frustrated (about not scoring), but when it comes down to it in the end coach always tells us it is in our hands and I took that to heart,” Roper said. “I am the senior point guard and I know at some stage in the end I am going to have to take that play and I tried my hardest to do whatever I could for my team.”

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Roper finished with four points, six rebounds, four assists and three steals.

The Trojans (7-7, 2-2 Sun Belt) held a lead for the entire second half of the game, but the Owls cut that lead to one point many times in the half. Troy head coach Michael Murphy said that did not bother his team.

“We keep our poise and we tend to understand what it means for that particular possession to get something good whether it is a basket and go to the free throw line or grab a rebound,” Murphy said. “Some of that is experience and some of that is the way we practice, but the girls do a great job of not panicking when the game gets close.”

Kylie Morrissy led the Trojans with 20 points on the night, but she did not get going until the second half. Morrissy scored 13 points in the second half.

“I really just wanted another win and we ended the first half with a bang and I really wanted to carry that on,” Morrissy said. “And I really like beating that team.”

Troy and FAU were locked in a tight battle in the first half before the Trojans opened up a 24-21 lead and pushed that lead to 28-21 before halftime.

FAU cut into the lead in the early part of the second half, trimming the lead to 28-25 three minutes into the half. Troy used defensive pressure and three-pointers from Davis and Morrissy to push the lead to 39-27 at 14:40 to go in the second half.

FAU cut the lead to 40-39 with 10 minutes remaining in the game before Troy turned missed FAU shots into points and pushed the lead back to 44-39 with 9:11 left. The Owls would not go away, chipping the lead to 44-43 with eight minutes left.

The Trojans fought back, pushing the lead to 49-43 with seven minutes remaining and held off FAU for the win.

Troy hosts ULL Saturday beginning at 5:15 p.m.