Small fire prompts early dismissal at Goshen Elementary

Published 11:04 am Friday, September 26, 2008

Students at Goshen Elementary School are being dismissed at 12:15 p.m. today following an electrical fire in the 200 building of the campus.

“All students and staff were evacuated safely,” said Superintendent Mark Bazzell.

The electrical short and fire occurred early Friday morning in a fuse box in the 200 building. While the fire was quickly contained, smoke permeated the classrooms.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“We’ve moved all the children to a safe location, and we’re going to feed them lunch, but obviously we’re not going to get much instruction done today,” Bazzell said. “We’re asking parents to pick up their children, beginning at 12:15 p.m.

“If they can’t pick up their children, we’ll hold them until normal bus routes run.”

About 500 students attend the school in grades kindergarten through six. The fire affected one first-grade classroom; four third-grade classrooms; four fourth-grade classrooms; three sixth-grade classrooms; and one special education classrooms.

Bazzell said he expected classes to resume as normal on Monday morning.