Ethel Jordan Johnson
Published 12:00 am Saturday, May 29, 2004
Ethel Jordan Johnson, 93, (thirty seven days short of her 94th birthday) died May 18, 2004, at Edge Memorial Hospital. She lived at Magnolia Wood Lodge in Troy, Alabama.
She was born in Goshen, June 25, 1910, as the daughter of the late Robert Lee and Martha Folmar Jordan and as a step daughter of the late Maude Barfield Jordan. She graduated from Midland City High School in 1929 and then attended Troy State Teachers College for two years. She married Manuel Holman Johnson on June 6, 1933 and they celebrated 57 years of marriage before his death in 1990. Ethel and her husband Holman were prominent citizens of the Troy community for over 60 years.
She joined the First Presbyterian Church of Troy June 23, 1967, and served the Church holding several prominent offices in the Women's Work Committee as: District WOC Chairman 1973; WOC President 1970-1972; Vice President; Secretary; three time Circle 1 Chairman; Chairman of Mission to U. S; Chairman of Mission to North America and Chairman of Christian Growth. She also organized Circle 111. She was a dedicated Christian and held a profound belief in God.
She was also active in the Geographic Study Club for 17 years and held several offices. She traveled extensively with her husband and brought her perspective of the world to the members of the club.
Ethel is survived by her sister Mrs. Elizabeth Otis Freeman and her children, Martha Josephine Johnson Harvell (husband- John), Mary Holman Johnson and Manuel Holman Johnson, Jr. (wife- Mary Lois) and her grandchildren, J. Johnson Harvell, Jennifer Jill Moncrief, Marshall Holman Johnson, Merritt Helen Johnson and seven great-grandchildren.
The funeral will be held on Saturday, May 22 at 11 a.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Troy. Visitation will occur between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Saturday morning preceding the funeral at the First Presbyterian Church. Burial will be at Green Hills Memorial Park. She requested that memorials be sent to the Troy Presbyterian Church Library Fund in lieu of flowers.