Goshen beats R.C. Hatch

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Goshen High recorded its second win of the season Friday night,

defeating R.C. Hatch 49-28.

Their standout tailback Bernard Carr rushed for 177 yards on 17 carries and scored three touchdowns to once again led the Eagles.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

"Everyone knows Carr is our running back; he just keeps making people miss,"

Goshen head coach Tim Brown said.

Sophomore quarterback Judson Ricks made his first start of the season, and had a pretty good night, hooking up with tight end Matt Dyess for two scores.

Ricks started over the injured Derrick Foster who did not dress, due to what coach Brown called, " a slight sprain"

Brown described Foster as "near 100 percent", but he

gave the 16-year-old Ricks a start.

The R.C. Hatch Bobcats began play with the ball, and helped Goshen by racking up four penalties on their first drive.

Carr returned the Bobcats' punt for 28 yards to the Hatch 28.

Two weak runs and two dropped passes later, the Eagles turned the ball over on downs at the Bobcat 23. They would get the ball back two plays later on a Mario McLeod interception at midfield.

On the ensuing drive, the Eagles fought through more dropped passes and managed to find their way to the Bobcat 25.

Carr took over from there, breaking tackles and bringing defenders with him to the Bobcat 5. On the next play, Carr scored the first Eagles' touchdown of the night.

On defense, Goshen forced Hatch to go three and out on their next drive.

The Bobcats fumbled the punt and Goshen took over at their opponent's 34.

Carr stepped up again on the very next play, and busted up the middle for 29 yards.

Two plays later Ricks would find a wide open Dyess in the endzone to go up 13-0 with 1:34 left in the first.

Goshen would again force Hatch to punt after just three plays.

Goshen offense took the field, but more dropped passes resulted in no points, and a turnover on downs.

"(Ricks) played well, but had a couple in the hands that were dropped - you can't fault him for that," coach Brown said.

Mario McLeod was not dropping balls on the defensive side, as be again picked off Bobcat quarterback Sullivan and returned it for a score to put the eagles up 21-0 with 3:10 left.

The Eagles defense slacked off somewhat at the end of the second quarter and let Hatch score two times in the closing minutes of the half to keep them in the game 21-14 at half.

The second half was more of the same for the Eagles, as Ricks hit a streaking Matt Dyess on the first play from scrimmage for a 50 yard score.

"(Hatch) was not respecting our tight end and we made some adjustments at halftime," coach Brown said.

Carr scored two more touchdowns, including a 47-yard run with 5:00 left n the third quarter.

All was well for Goshen until late in the fourth.

With under seven minutes left in the game the Eagle D surrendered two touchdowns to give the Bobcats a 28 points, even though they had -6 yards rushing in the second half.

Mario McLeod finished with six tackles and two interceptions, one returned for a score.

Dyess finished with two receiving touchdowns and four tackles.

In addition to his 177 rushing yards and three touchdowns, Bernard Carr also had 5 tackles.

Goshen travels to Calera next for a tough area game.