High-speed chase ends in Brundidge

Published 12:00 am Friday, June 6, 2003

A high-speed chase that originated in Dothan Wednesday night ended on state Hwy. 93 just north of Brundidge a short time later.

According to information released by Capt. John Givins, commander of the field operations bureau of the Dothan Police Department, attempted a traffic stop on a motorcycle that was being operated recklessly.

The driver of the motorcycle failed to yield to the officer and led Dothan Police and State Troopers on a chase north on U.S. Highway 231 through, Midland City, Ozark and Brundidge and ended when the motorcycle ran out of gas on Hwy. 93 just north of Brundidge Givins said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Jeffrey David Arnold, 29, has been charged with reckless endangerment and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.

"Arnold had a small amount of marijuana and methamphetamine on him at the time of his arrest," Givins said. "He also had a .380 semi-automatic weapon in his possession."

Givins said three Dothan units were involved in the pursuit of Arnold.

Units from Dale County, Brundidge and the Pike County Sheriff's Department also assisted.

No injuries resulted from the chase and no property was destroyed.

Brundidge Police Chief Moses Davenport said officers from his department were alerted and participated in the chase.

"Our department was notified of the chase when the subject was south of Ozark, shortly before 9:30 p.m.," Davenport said. "From what I understand, the driver of the motorcycle had turned back south once he got near Ozark and then turned back north again. We expected him to go up 231 toward Troy, but an 18-wheeler pulled out from the intersection of 231 and 93 and turned south, so he came right up 93 into Brundidge."

Davenport said, from the time frame, he estimated the chase resulted in speeds up to 100 mph.

"I was standing out in front of the police station when the motorcycle came through town and he was flying," Davenport said.

"He ran right through the red light. The state trooper car behind him slowed down a little.

The windbreaker the man on the motorcycle was wearing was frayed. I guess, he was going so fast the wind ripped the jacket."

Davenport said some of the officers involved in the chase thought Arnold had a backpack with him early in the chase.

"He didn't have a backpack when he was stopped and there was some speculation that he had thrown it off someplace during the chase," he said.

Givins said there was no mention of a backpack in the police report. Arnold's hometown was not listed on the report.

Arnold was detained on Hwy. 93 for 30 minutes or more before he was taken into custody, Davenport said.

Eleven law enforcement vehicles were at the scene.