Man survives fire at duplex

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 13, 2002

Features Editor

A young man was found unconscious in the bathroom of his duplex apartment Monday night, apparently overcome by smoke from a fire in his apartment.

According to Troy Fire Chief Ray Rhodes, Robert Mark Powell of 109 Smith Street called in the fire to the Troy Fire Department at 7:30 p.m.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

"When we arrived, the fire in the upstairs duplex was very involved," Rhodes said. "After we got the fire knocked down and under control, we found the young man, unconscious, but breathing, in the bathroom."

Haynes Ambulance Service responded and administered treatment to Powell and transported him to Edge Regional Medical Center, the fire chief said.

"Powell (apparently) was cooking and the grease ignited. He tried to make it to the door, but dropped the pan," Rhodes said. "There must have been some combustible materials that flamed up and he was trapped and went in another direction and ended up in the bathroom."

Rhodes said Powell was not conscious when he was found but was struggling and fighting.

"That was a good sign because he was breathing on his own," Rhodes said.

Rhodes said Powell was being treated for respiratory problems at Edge Regional Medical Center early Tuesday.

"I talked with his father and he said Powell has asthma and that was causing some problems," Rhodes said.

"According to his father, Powell was going to be transferred to another hospital where he could be near a pulmonary specialist."