Four-hour standoff ends quietly

Published 12:00 am Thursday, December 13, 2001

Staff Writer

A Maine man wanted in connection with a murder kept Troy police at bay four hours Wednesday before surrendering.

Jeffrey "Russ" Gorman, 21, of Scarborough, Maine, was taken into custody around 7 p.m. after a four-hour standoff in a residence on U.S. 29 South.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Around 2:30 p.m., officers from the Troy Police Department went to the residence after receiving a tip Gorman, who was wanted on a fugitive warrant, was there. Gorman was wanted by Maine authorities on a probation violation.

Upon their arrival, officers received consent to search the home and soon thereafter

located Gorman, who was armed with two firearms and threatened to shoot himself.

Initially, there were "two or three" others in the residence, including a child, but none of their lives were ever in danger, said Sgt. Benny Scarbrough, public information officer with the TPD.

Two trained negotiators from the Troy Police Department began talking with Gorman around 3 p.m. while the tactical unit stood by and patrol officers blocked the highway to traffic.

After four hours of "constant negotiations," Gorman gave himself up to officers, Scarbrough said, adding it was also the longest and most tense negotiators had experienced.

"At one time he had a gun pointed at each temple," Scarbrough said.

The negotiators were working to end the standoff peacefully and to keep Gorman contained.

"We did not want him to leave that location," Scarbrough said.

Gorman is a suspect in the disappearance of a 25-year-old Maine woman. The body of Amy St. Laurent of South Berwick was found last weekend in a shallow grave in a wooded area of rural Scarborough. She disappeared on Oct. 21 after a night of dancing in Portland.

Although Gorman has not been charged with murder, he was taken into custody. The Troy Police Department will work with Maine authorities regarding any extradition.

"All of our officers did an excellent job," Troy Police Chief Anthony Everage.

He said the successful outcome was due to "training and the caliber of officers" the Troy Police Department has.

The Pike County Sheriff’s Department also responded to the incident.