Eagles knocked off by Generals

Published 12:00 am Sunday, November 18, 2001

Special to


NEW SITE – Horseshoe Bend ended the Goshen Eagles’ season on Friday night, winning 35-20, in the second round of the Class 2A state playoffs.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The Generals will travel to play Leroy in the third round next Friday night.

Horseshoe Bend jumped out to the lead, scoring on its opening drive. A 40-yard pass from quarterback Kevin Boyd to running back Fernando Burns put the Generals on the Goshen 10-yard line with 11:15 left in the first quarter. It took Burns two consecutive five-yard carries to give the Generals a 7-0 advantage.

The Eagles recorded a 29-yard return on the ensuing kickoff to move the football out to the 38. Goshen opened its first drive by getting as far as its own 48-yard line before having to punt.

The snap from center was wobbly and the subsequent punt was blocked by Horseshoe Bend’s Ivan Hunter and the ball was picked up by Cedric Hall, who returned it 33-yards for the second General touchdown. Boyd came on to kick the extra point to put Horseshoe Bend out to a 14-point advantage.

Goshen was limited on its next offensive possession by the General defense, which capped the Eagle drive at only 17 yards and forcing the punt.

The Generals’ next drive also seemed to end with a punting situation, but center Chase Carter snapped the ball to Burns, who turned the ball upfield for 42 yards straight into the endzone.

Boyd then hit receiver Darrell Newman for the two-point conversion and the Generals lead increased to 22-0.

Goshen, however, wouldn’t lie dormant. On third down and nine, Eagles’ quarterback Arrick Rogers launched the ball, which was tipped by Burns, and it fell into the arms of Eagle receiver Jonathan Folmar for the first Goshen touchdown on the night.

The extra point kick was good and the Generals lead shrunk to 22-7.

Boyd completed a 26-yard pass to Hall to put the Generals on top 28-7 just before intermission.

To start the second half, the Eagles were held to three yards on their first possession and were forced to punt.

Two consecutive runs by Burns and one by Hall put the Generals on the 42-yard line

The next play found Burns streaking down the field, breaking two tackles and out running three Goshen defenders for the touchdown.

The extra point was good and Horseshoe Bend held a 35-7 advantage.

With 6:50 left in the fourth quarter, the Eagles went to work again. Goshen running back Quez Burden powered his way through the Horseshoe Bend line from two yard’s out for the second Eagle score.

The point after was good and the Generals’ lead had narrowed, 35-14.

On the ensuing Horseshoe Bend drive, Boyd fumbled the snap, which was recovered by Eagles.

On the second play of its next drive, Rogers completed a pass to Folmar for 24 yards and the score. This touchdown slimmed the difference to 35-20.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Eagles executed an onside kick and had another chance to score, but could not when Hunter sacked Rogers on fourth down, turning the ball over to the Generals with 2:21 left in the game.

The Eagles had a final chance with 38 seconds left in the game, but time ran out on the drive.

Goshen’s season ends at 8-4.