Downtown fire blamed on shortage in wiring

Published 12:00 am Sunday, September 2, 2001

News Editor

The fire that destroyed Youngs Fashion in downtown Troy last week has been determined as an electrical fire.

Troy Police Chief Ray Rhodes said the investigation began shortly after the roof was demolished Thursday afternoon.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

"’When we got in there we found the culprit," Rhodes said. "We found where the wiring shorted out

where the fire started."

Rhodes said the fire was accidental in nature.

Rhodes said the Troy Fire Department received the call about 5:20 p.m. Wednesday and the fire was "under control" about 9:30 p.m., but some of the firefighters stayed on the scene until about noon Thursday. Along with the Troy Fire Dept., Brundidge, Goshen, Spring Hill, Henderson, Meeksville, Ariton, Luverne, Marley Mill and Ozark Fire Departments and Sikorsky Support Services Inc. responded to the call.

Firefighters were able to maintain control of the blaze and keep it from spreading to other buildings on the block just off the square in downtown Troy. Even though the fire was contained, other buildings on the block were damaged by smoke and water.

Earl Ellis, who owns several buildings on the block including Landmark Realty, said there was smoke and water damage to Landmark Realty, Ed’s Barber and Style Shop, Troy School of Dance, Victorian Heirlooms and Newman Distributors.