Pike County Cattlewomen offer scholarship

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, April 10, 2001

Features Editor

With high school graduation just around the corner, many seniors are applying for scholarships, and the Pike County Cattlewomen’s Association has one to offer.

Betty Hixon, president of the Pike County Cattlewomen, said applications are now being taken for the association’s annual scholarship which is awarded to a deserving

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

graduating high school senior or a college student.

"We award one $750 scholarship a year, which is renewable as long as the recipient maintains a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4-point scale," Hixon said. "Each applicant must be or have been a member in good standing, for at least three years, of either 4-H, FFA or FHA and must be a resident of Pike County."

Those applying for the scholarship must also demonstrate academic excellence as determined by the Pike County Cattlewomen’s Association Scholarship Committee, Hixon said.

In order to

receive consideration, students must complete a Pike County Catlewomen’s Scholarship application and submit it to the Pike County Extension System office before April 16. A current transcript must also be attached as well as three letters of recommendation.

The Pike County Cattlewomen’s Association will pay to the scholarship recipient and the institution in one payment. The recipient must present the association’s scholarship committee with his or her letter of acceptance from any college or university.

"Selection of the recipient will be made by an outside committee," Hixon said. "A scorecard will be used based on the application. This scholarship program is just one way that our association supports the youth of Pike County. We want to encourage all eligible youth to apply for this scholarship. We know that we have many deserving young people in our community and we are proud to be able to offer this scholarship each year."

Applications are are available at the offices of local high schools and forms are also available at the Pike County Extension System office, at 306 South Three Notch Street in Troy.