No injuries reported in TSU fire

Published 12:00 am Friday, October 6, 2000

Special to The Messenger

Oct. 5, 2000 10 PM

No injuries were reported in a fire that damaged several rooms in a Troy State University residence hall, TSU officials reported Wednesday evening.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

According to University officials, the origin of the fire was traced to a candle left burning in a bathroom on the second floor of Shackelford Hall, the oldest residence hall on campus.

University Police Chief Rod Anderson said his office received the call around 5:33 p.m. Wednesday. All students were evacuated safely and the fire was contained by the Troy Fire Department.

Most of the damage to the rooms was estimated to be water damage rather than fire or smoke damage.

University officials also said arrangements would be made to house any students displaced from their rooms due to the fire.

Shackelford Hall, built in 1930, was renovated this past summer into modern, suite-style residential housing.