Jacksonville’s Bossie, Lankford claim prep spotlight
Published 12:00 am Thursday, September 7, 2000
MONTGOMERY – Torre Lankford and Derrick Bossie of Jacksonville High School turned a blocked punt into a late, game-winning touchdown to claim the 2000 season’s first prep football spotlight Tuesday.
The survey of top performances in football games statewide is made weekly by the Alabama High School Athletic Association.
With 1:06 to play, Lankford blocked a punt and Bossie picked up the loose ball inside the 10-yard line and scampered into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown in Jacksonville’s thrilling 27-26 victory over Weaver.
A two-point conversion attempt failed but Mark Little intercepted a Weaver pass to preserve the win. Lankford recorded 15 tackles during the game.
– Lance Rhodes of Hoover completed 13 of 16 passes for 262 yards and four touchdowns in a 52-6 win over Jess Lanier.
– Arthur Coleman rushed for 305 yards and three touchdowns in Pleasant Home’s 33-22 victory over Lyman Ward.
– Leartist Williams ran for 233 yards and four touchdowns (24, 24, 54 and 58 yards) in Davidson’s 26-12 win over Satsuma.
– Bradley Rickard threw four touchdown passes, including two in overtime periods, in Central-Florence’ 32-26 win over Lauderdale County.
– Josh Forrest of Donoho completed 13 of 24 passes for 250 yards and a touchdown in a 31-16 victory over Alabama School for the Deaf.
– Bryan Foshee of Plainview accounted for over 200 yards in total offense and scored three touchdowns in a 35-13 triumph over Fyffe.
– Ramon Nelson hit 17 of 29 passes for 264 yards in Theodore’s 18-16 win over Baldwin County.
– Adam Campbell rushed 16 times for 179 yards and three touchdowns as Ragland downed Gaylesville 48-15.
– Chris Clayton of New Hope hit 11 of 13 passes for 246 yards and three touchdowns in a 40-0 victory over Ardmore.
– Jeffery Brothers rushed for 149 yards and two touchdowns and added a 94-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in Bradshaw’s 22-21 win over Austin.
– Michael Jones of Colbert County fired three touchdown passes in a 28-0 triumph over Muscle Shoals.
– Titus Ryan rushed nine times for 151 yards and three touchdowns – including runs of 72 and 47 yards – in Tuscaloosa County’s 40-6 victory over Holt.
– Ramzee Robinson of Butler threw touchdown passes of 44 and 22 yards and ran for another in a 41-6 win over J. O. Johnson. Trevis O’Neal and Greg McCain combined for 303 yards rushing and five touchdowns in Leeds’ 48-6 triumph over Montevallo.
– Brandon McDonald of Huffman rushed for 168 yards and two touchdowns in a 33-12 victory over Woodlawn.