One dead, two injured in shootings

Published 12:00 am Friday, July 7, 2000

Staff Writer

One man is dead and a woman is in stable condition following a Thursday morning shooting in Troy.

Troy Police Chief Anthony Everage reported the shooting occurred on Molton Street, just off Washington Street at approximately 10 a.m.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Frankie Antonio Tellis, 23, and 26-year-old Cassandra McBride both were shot in the incident.

McBride was allegedly shot through a door, and the bullet struck her in the chest, just below the arm.

Tellis suffered a single gunshot wound to the head.

Troy Police Department officials said the shooting appears to be a domestic incident. Officials would not comment on whether Tellis’ wound was self-inflicted.

"We are not prepared at this time to make a comment on who the shooter or shooters could have been in this case," Everage said. "We will continue our investigation."

There were no eyewitnesses in the case, Everage said.

The victims were transported to Edge Regional Medical Center, where McBride underwent surgery to remove the bullet from her chest and was listed in stable condition late Thursday afternoon.

Tellis was later transported to Baptist Medical Center East in Montgomery. He was pronounced dead Thursday afternoon.

"This is a tragic situation and we will work to bring this investigation to a resolution," Everage said. "We certainly extend our sympathies to the victims and to their families in this case."

As investigators gathered evidence from the scene, another shooting was reported.

At approximately 1:45 p.m., officers responded to another reported shooting. The location of that incident was not released.

The victim was identified as Sandy Calhoun, 49, of Troy.

According to Sgt. Benny Scarbrough, public information officer for the TPD, Calhoun was at a neighbor’s house when he was struck under his left arm. He was transported to Edge Regional Medical Center.

It is believed the bullet came through a window of the residence.

No arrest was made in the afternoon incident and both cases are still under investigation by the Troy Police Department.