Firefighters kept hopping over weekend
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, February 22, 2000
Feb. 21, 2000 10 PM
Firefighters in Pike County earned their keep over the weekend.
Troy Fire Chief Ray Rhodes said his department kept busy Sunday afternoon.
About 3 p.m. was when things began heating up around Troy.
The department was first called to a brush fire in the field behind Henderson Black and Greene Inc. Once that fire was out, firefighters realized a nearby dumpster was on fire and had spread to a wood building.
"There was very little damage," Rhodes said.
But, as soon as that problem was under control, another fire off Aster Avenue was reported.
Rhodes said that a woods fire posed a threat to some nearby homes, but was quickly put out.
Then, the next call went out to respond to a fire at Superior Wood Components, where a sawdust bin had caught on fire. The cause of that fire was attributed to sparks from the fire behind Henderson Black and Greene, Inc.
Rhodes said "everybody worked about three hours" to get all the fires under control and out.
Despite having fires reported throughout the county, volunteer firefighters assisted Troy in putting out the blazes in the city limits.
Rhodes expressed his appreciation to those men and women who helped his department.
"We had about 40 people, at one time, scattered around town," Rhodes said.
But, most of the fires could have been prevented.
Rhodes said the dry weather and winds between five and 15 miles per hour should have been enough to make someone think twice before lighting a match to burn leaves or brush.
"It will really get away from you," he said of small fires under those conditions.
The Troy Police Department is doing what it can to prevent such fires by not issuing burning permits.
"Most fires start with people burning leaves and fields," Rhodes said.
Due to conditions, residents are advised to be extremely cautious.