Eagles blow up on Calhoun in 93-79 victory

Published 12:00 am Thursday, January 27, 2000

Sports Writer

Calhoun’s David Webb came into Tuesday night’s contest against Goshen and told the Eagles’ players he was going to dunk on them.

And although Webb made good on his promise, dunking three times, it was junior Jamar Tucker and his GHS teammates that got the last laugh, out gunning the Tigers, 93-79.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Tucker put an exclamation point on the Eagles victory, jamming it home as time expired improving Goshen to 11-4 on the season.

"I thought it was a great game for the fans," Goshen head coach Major Lane said. "Fast-paced action, a lot of scoring, both teams were just fighting to survive. We knew they were a tough shooting team, but we felt like pound-for-pound we were just as good."

A 3-pointer by Calhoun’s Antwon Gipson and a jumper by Webb gave the Tigers a 25-12 lead in the early minutes of the second quarter and it looked like they were on the verge of putting Goshen out early.

But then the Eagles got busy.

Kendaris Pelton nailed a critical 3-point basket to launch Goshen on 10-0 run to pull the Eagles within five. The two teams traded baskets back and forth and as the first half ended, Calhoun held just a one point advantage, 42-41.

Pelton and sophomore Averick Rogers were a big reason the Eagles were still in it at the half. The two youngsters were able to match Calhoun’s 3-point shooting basket for basket and both finished with 23 points on the night.

"Kendaris just really stepped up his game," Lane said. "For a freshman, he played his heart out and I couldn’t have been more impressed with him. Averick did a great job of looking for his shot and finding the open man around the bucket."

"Coach Lane just told me to keep shooting," Rogers said. "And I was just feeling it."

Rogers kept feeling it in the third period as, after a Jermaine Simmons layup, he drained two more three’s to give the Eagles a quick seven point lead. But this time it was the Tigers that didn’t fold as the used an 8-0 spurt to pull within one at the end of the third quarter, 59-58.

The fourth period, however, belonged to Goshen.

Deon Scott came off of the bench to score five straight points to cap off an Eagles 11-2 run that effectively put the game out of reach.

"We always bring him (Scott) in," Rogers said. "And he ends up lighting it up."

The Sports Center-like highlights continued for Goshen in the fourth as Pelton got a dunk on Webb, drew the foul and capitalized on the 3-point play from the foul line. Then Tucker took an assist off of the backboard from Willie Darby and brought the Goshen fans to their feet with a thunderous dunk. He finished the game second in scoring with 20 points.

"I couldn’t be prouder of a team than this team here tonight," Lane said. "They really did a great job."

The Calhoun girls continued their run toward the sub-regionals with an 80-27 trouncing of the Lady Eagles. Calhoun placed five players in double figures en route to victory. Goshen was led by Lakesha Cope with 12 points.

Both the Eagles boys’ and girls’ squads will next be in action Monday at Highland Home. The game scheduled Friday night against the Brantley Bulldogs has been canceled.