One woman was airlifted to the hospital Thursday night after being entrapped underneath an 18-wheeler.

Woman airlifted after being trapped under 18-wheeler

Published 8:02pm Wednesday, February 6, 2013

One woman was airlifted after a two-vehicle wreck happened about 6 Wednesday night near the intersection of Highway 87 and Highway 167.

Authorities did not release the cause of the crash as of deadline Thursday night.

The woman appeared to be driving north on 167 and the driver of the truck was traveling north on 87 when the collision took place.

The woman was trapped in her white Chevrolet Impala underneath a Walmart truck headed for the Walmart Distribution Center in Brundidge.

The driver of the truck was not injured in the crash and the truck was able to be driven to the Distribution Center.

The condition of the woman was not available Thursday night.

The Springhill Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene, along with with the Troy Police Department, Pike County Sheriff’s Office, Pike County Fire and Rescue, Brundidge Fire Department and Alabama State Troopers.

Identities of both drivers were not released.

Further information is expected from State Troopers as early as this morning.

Please check troymessenger.com for updates on this story.

• mustang89

It says Thursday night. Did this happen tonight (Wednesday) or last Thursday night?

• http://www.troymessenger.com Ryan McCollough

It occurred on Wednesday evening. Thanks for the good eye, and the story has been corrected. We apologize for the confusion.

• Kelly

If she was traveling north on 167, and the truck was north on 87, then he ran that stop sign, and is in, as they say, “a heep a trouble”..

• banksmotherof2

Ryan,

There is still a place where it says Thursday night. I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

The condition of the woman was not available Thursday night.

• banksmotherof2

Ryan,

• faqu36081

First off,I hope this lady is doing ok.
    Secondly, lets not be quick to blame the truck driver.

• bridgeman

Kelly I agree with faqu lets not jump to judgement. If that truck was at a complete stop at the sign waiting for traffic to clear and then started across the intersection it would take the truck 7-10 seconds to clear. If a car is coming over the hill at any speed they better get on the brakes.

• TroyGurl2006

I am not trying to be rude but several eye witnesses stated that the 18 wheeler was on 167 and that the Impala was traveling on 87 and pulled out in front of the 18 wheeler. If you look at the picture it doesn’t match up to the article. In my opinion.

• Mook

TroyGurl I’m going to have to disagree with you on the way the truck and car was traveling. If the car had been traveling North on 87 I don’t see how it could have ran under the truck. As you probably know, there is a stop sign coming out of 87 before you get onto 167. In my opinion it would make more sense if the truck was traveling North on 87 and was headed to the distrubtion center. That would mean the truck would have to go straight after stopping at the stop sign on 87 and if the car was traveling North on 167 she could have very well ran into the truck as it was crossing 167. I wasn’t at the accident I’m just saying, in my opinion, which means nothing in this case it would make more sense if the truck was traveling 87 instead of 167.

Mook I think you are right I go throught that intersection every day,I am not saying this lady was speeding but I see people top that hill going north on 167 at high speeds even thou there is a warning sign.Trucks or cars pulling out from either side of 167 are in danger of getting hit as many have over the years.

• ladybug80

We need a traffic light at this intersection. I live very close and have seen numerous bad wrecks here over the years. At the very least, a flashing caution light for all directions. I did see the wreck shortly after it happened and IN MY OPINION ONLY, it seemed to me that she was speeding on 167 and not paying attention to the cross traffic. It does take trucks longer to get across the road but from the top of that ridge, she could have slowed down to let him finish crossing as I have had to do many many times. From the angle that I saw of the accident, the trucks rear set of tires had hit her car which makes me think he was almost through the intersection when she hit him and went under the truck. Something as simple as looking at the radio to change stations can distract you long enough for an accident like this to happen. Please pay attention to your surroundings at all times. It is aweful to see wrecks like this that could have been avoided.

concerns