Troy anxious to host first-ever SEC opponent as Miss. St. visits

Published 10:21pm Tuesday, September 11, 2012

To call Troy’s matchup with Mississippi State this weekend a big game could be considered an understatement.

Troy is not only looking to bounce back from an emotional loss to Louisiana-Lafayette but reestablish themselves as a dominate program at Veterans Memorial Stadium and in the Sun Belt Conference.

“They’re all big but playing Mississippi State, an SEC team, in our stadium should be a great experience,” head coach Larry Blakeney said. “I watched a good bit of their game with Auburn. They are tough on defense and know what they want to do with the ball offensively.”

The last BCS conference opponent to set foot on Larry Blakeney Field was Oklahoma State in 2007. The Trojans won that contest, 41-23.

Troy will go into the contest without starting right guard Zach Johnson, who suffered a concussion against Louisiana-Lafayette.

“The main thing is that he gets healthy, but the big thing for us is that we lose a starter,” Blakeney said. “He’s a smart guy and is a big loss for us.”

Corey Robinson was also banged up following his 485-yard passing performance last week, but coaches fell he will be ready to go for the Mississippi State game.

Blakeney is hoping for a large crowd on Saturday and the statistics tell the reason. Troy is 15-2 in the school’s top 17 attendance games.

Tickets for the game are still available. In a press release sent out by the athletics department on Tuesday ticket manager Scott Smith said he has been receiving a large quantity of calls this week.

“We’ve been busy since we opened for business on Monday,” Smith said. “Our fans are excited about Mississippi State coming to Troy and you can tell by the amount of traffic we have had on the phone, in person and online.”

Fans can purchase tickets for the game by calling 1-877-878-WINS, by visiting the Troy ticket office or by logging on to TroyTrojans.com. Tickets are $35 for reserved seats and $25 for general admission.

Kickoff for Troy and Mississippi State is set for 6 p.m. Saturday.

• Omelas

“Troy is not only looking to bounce back from an emotional loss….” –from story

ROTFLMBO! They’d better send 50 buckets of spoiled KFC chicken over to the MSU field house on Thursday if they want anything other than drug all over the field. LOL!

“…and they know what the want to do with the ball offensively.” — Coach Blakeny, from story

Yeah, and I’m sure they are going to put it some places the Trojans won’t like!

What is the deal with Troy? From kindergarten through the University, everyone tries to be something they are not.

I would hope that the TU players are smart enough to realize that they are nothing but pawns to be beaten and bruised for the sake of money and a few folks’ egos.

Not all players can play for a SEC team but most would do anything just to play against one.

• trojanchad

Welcome to Troy Omelas. Are you making the trip from Starkville for the game Saturday? Good to see a State fan come by to comment.

My apologies if you are actually from Troy, but I can’t imagine that kind of hate or jealously from a Troy person. If you’d rather be somewhere else, don’t let any of us hold you back.

• Omelas

Actually, I am from Troy and I am not an MSU fan. I do not hate Troy University, and consider it a rather good small public university. And jealousy? I don’t know where that came from. Of what do I have to be jealous.

My criticism is of the powers that be seeing nothing but ego and $$$ signs. The young men on the TU football team are, likely without exception, TU players because they were not blessed with the talent to play at an SEC school. Why, other than money and ego, would TU subject these young men to humiliation and likely injury from playing above their skill level?

And, trojanchad, you are the third person on this board to invite me to leave Troy.

A thought that seems incomprehensible to so many here: Troy is a nice place to live, but has its share of problems that need to be addressed. I am politically and socially conservative, but don’t watch FOX news: I watch CNN. Why? It does one no good to get nothing but affirmation about what one already believes. You grow from considering the other side of issues.

• trojanchad

Tine Davis Fieldhouse
          5000 Veterans Stadium Drive
          Troy, AL 36082

I would absolutely LOVE for you to take that “talent” comment there. In the last 21 years TROY has gone from Division 2, to FCS, to FBS and seeing the post season 12 times with 5 of those appearances in Bowl Games.

You don’t get better by sitting around thinking you’re not good enough.

• Omelas

Just as a small public school cannot recruit in many National Merit Scholars, neither can they recruit in the top athletic picks.

In D-1, TU is a guppy among great whites.

“All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.”–Max Beerbohm

“A delusion is something that people believe in despite a total lack of evidence.”–Richard Dawkins

Omelas you must not know much about college football,schools like Alabama,Auburn,LSU,etc.just have so many scholarships to offer so there are a lot of very good football players that are just as good but just don’t get the chance.Everyone is free to give their opinion,but we never read anything you post that is positive always negative.I can see you are well educated
          but you sure look at things in a different light that most of us.For me I see a lot of Miss.St. fans coming to Troy that will spend money and help our town,plus Troy playing teams like SEC teams will help Troy get more of the better players on down the road.I am sure you will come back with more of your crap letting us all know your right and we don’t know what we are talking about.

• Omelas

WDM,

I agree that TU playing against SEC teams will be an economic boon for both TU and the city. But, we shouldn’t put on blinders to the human cost or act as if we are delusional about outcomes.

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”–Terry Pratchett

Omelas,I forgot to ask does the user name pierce ring a bell.

• Omelas

Sorry. I don’t know anyone here with that as a first, last, or user name.

• Fred the Dorf-Dorfman

Omelas or sour puss (what ever people call you). Wes writes a great story about our team and city. You on the other hand twist and lash out against any progress we are making. I am with trojanchad leave this town, go watch your communist news network and sour puss somewhere else. You need to have a talk with the Lord and get a few items straight in life. To WDM. I like your post. Thank you for supporting Troy University Football. To Trojan Chad. Were you the male majorette in the sound of the south during the late 1980′s? If that was you man you could sure twirl a baton. Will you be attending the homecoming sound of the south alumni band this year?

• trojanchad

Hi Fred. You’ve got me mistaken. I graduated in ’01 and to my knowledge, I’ve never touched a baton. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

• ilovefood

Louisian Monroe(sunbelt team) the conference in which TROY is in. SAY HELLO!!!! they beat an SEC team in ARKANSAS LAST SATURDAY! guess what there higher ups are money hungry too!! BUT yea…

• Omelas

Yes. And there was snow in the western states on July 4, 2011. Unusual occurrences happen, but they are, uhm … unusual by definition. I wouldn’t spend too much time waxing my skis next July, or planning a victory celebration for this Saturday night.

“God is always on the side of the big batalions.”–Voltaire

• Loki

Just because it is unusual does not mean it can’t happen twice in a row Omelas. Lighting strikes twice in the same place believe it or not Omelas. You like to post quotes so much so here is you one.

“We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”-Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Omelas

No one said it CAN’T happen. I just wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

And to the Norse god of chaos:
          “In the Norse mythology Loki originally was on the side of the rest of the gods, helping them once or twice using a particularly nast forms of trickery. He was a cunning negotiator with a talent for technicalities. He was sort of the Norse equivalent of a lawyer, no doubt the reason they tied him down in a pit dripping acidic venom on him.”–Martin Terman

• Bill_OReally

The good: MSU will probably bring 25,000 fans and spend a ton of money. The local economy will get a big boost.

The bad: Troy’s Football team will be beaten like drum. This MSU team is not going 4-8 like the one Troy beat over ten years ago. This MSU team is for real. And Troy’s defense is horrible. Troy’s offense MAY score 21 points, but their defense isn’t gonna stop a powerhouse like MSU from scoring less than 50. It will be a slaughter.

But, again, the local economy will get a big boost, so the city of Troy wins. Maybe they can schedule a few sacrificial lamb home games every year against power houses that travel well to make up for the other pathetically attended home games against Skunk Belt opponents.

• Fred the Dorf-Dorfman

Sorry Trojan chad. It was brought to my attention the baton guy could have been you. I was in Perry Florida today and showed a guy the post from sour puss Olmeas. He said Olmeas is probably a guy in jail with nothing to do. It could be correct thst he is a jail bird. I’m a graduate of Troy myself 2002. Wish I knew who you were. It would be fun to hang out with a good guy. Have fun at the game and it looks like I will be out of town so cheer for me. Do you think the county jail will let sour puss out to watch the game?

• Loki

Wow, it seems like a lot of the posters on here have some deep hatred of Omelas that I just don’t understand.

• Loki

Just to clarify the reason is his comments are not hateful towards any of you just the article then you start bashing him for his own views.

• Bill_OReally

Outstanding effort, Trojans. I tip my hat to you.

• Pingback: My Homepage

• Trojan97

Here goes Omelas again! The Messenger cannot write an article about sports or athletics without his whining! I seriously think that Omelas has been picked on most of his life by jocks or something. Get over it Sour Puss! Good luck Trojans! In think it will be a better game than some think.

• Loki

Omelas I must agree with you that the post not the person should be attacked. Not everyone who lives in Troy shares in the values that you seem to believe that we all share while an even smaller percent share in the view of this city that you have.

• trojanchad

You’re probably right, ’97. Om hates everything about the city of Troy and the University. I don’t think it’s all that unreasonable to suggest he look for another place to live where he might be happier.

Om, did you go by the field house yet? Every time I’ve been to the ticket office I’ve met several players moving about.

Find one who looks like he spends his time on the line (either side of the ball will do) and tell him he doesn’t have any talent. Tell him he isn’t good enough to play for some school you’ve seen on the teevee.

• Omelas

That is the purpose of a comments section…open discourse between various viewpoints.

We gain nothing by constantly having our current views affirmed. We gain perpective by considering the merits and limitations of opposing viewpoints.