Commission condemns damage to public roads

Published 11:00pm Monday, October 28, 2013

On Monday night at a meeting of the Pike County Commission, Mrs. Debra Davis provided a voice to Pike County residents who have suffered property damage from trucks and ATVs tearing up pubic dirt roads while mud riding.

Davis lives on CR 1123 in the Shellhorn Community, and she has suffered damage from to her private property when trucks illegally damage the public road she lives on. “I’m not here to complain to the commission,” Davis said. “I’m here to make you aware of a problem that has not been punished. These trucks vandalize my property, my daughter’s property and my neighbor’s property.”

Davis said trucks driving on her road have destroyed three of her mailboxes, four of her daughter’s mailboxes and three of her neighbor’s mailboxes. “It’s just meanness is what it is,” Davis said. “I don’t take it personally against me. I take it personally for every person in the community.”

This is a problem that affects the entire county, not just private property holders. The roads that these trucks use are roads maintained by the county. Every time a truck damages a road while mud riding, the county must spend money repair the road. “I don’t know what I have to do to get this stopped,” Davis said. “The county must have spent thousands of dollars in repairing the roads.”

On Oct. 17, Davis said she recorded three trucks destroying CR 1123 on her cell phone. She also said she had registered a formal complaint to the Pike County Sheriff’s office against the offending drivers. As of now, the incident is still under investigation.

Davis asked the commissioner’s for their help in ending the matter. “I want each of you to give me your word and say that this activity isn’t tolerated,” Davis said. “I need you to assist the District Attorney if this is prosecuted by providing a dollar amount of damage caused during the incident. To me, this behavior is no different than driving to the courthouse and throwing a brick through the window. It’s costing the county money.”

Commission chairman Homer Wright spoke for all of the commission in giving his support. “As commissioners, we should be behind you,” Wright said. “We can back you 100 percent on this because it is our responsibility to take care of county roads.”

During its regular meeting, the commission approved seven pieces of business.

• The commission accepted a resolution to allow resurfacing projects on CR 6600 and CR 7702 to be let for bidding.

• The commission approved the maintenance of a fuel system at the Road Department for roughly $1800.

• The commission approved a contract with the Lee County Youth Development Center.

• The commission approved the use of a new form in reporting accidents that happen on county property.

• The commission approved the advertisement of the position of Personal Property Appraiser/Administrative Assistant III.

• The commission approved the advertisement of the position of Emergency Management Operations Specialist.

• The commission accepted changes to the Coffee County Water Authority’s bylaws.

• goshen8

Wouldn’t it make sense for you to ask them to spend that money to pave your road instead of spending even more money trying to prosecute a couple of kids for a problem that is going to continue for years to come? Even if you get two or three of the kids now…what’s going to stop kids in the future from wanting to ride down your road?

• iwonder

The question is “shouldn’t the county pave the dirt roads” ? Wow what a totally ignorant thing to say. You think that the way to solve the 100% inappropriate behavior being discussed is to pave the roads? Punish the tax payers as a whole to stop a few boys that are wrong. How about raising kids that know that it’s not right to destroy property? I kept up with this mess for the better part of a week and what I saw was a mother that first was in denial about it being her kids that moved into quotes like “that’s what real county boys do” and “that’s what all dirt roads should look like after a rain”. I saw crap justifications of this destruction because the boys were in the military and “need to blow off steam”. You know what? The truth is the boys were wrong and anyone else that thinks it ok to tear up public property is wrong and no amount of justification or blame shifting crap excuses will make up for that fact. It’s fun to the good ole boys but what about the people that live down those roads that are less safe because of the damage? What about the emergency vehicles that might not be able to get to an in need person because someone needed to blow off steam and tore up the roads. We should try to pave all the county dirt roads to stop mud riders, we need to fence to stop trespassers, we need cameras to stop thieves, we need all kind of deterrents to stop people for doing wrong? What about parents being parents and stop making excuses!

• goshen8

I’d be interested to see these “crap justifications” where the military boys needed to “blow off steam”. I seriously doubt their mother said those word. As a matter of fact, I KNOW their mother didn’t say those words.

• goshen8

I wonder why the County hasn’t recognized the thousands of dollars they they have spent on CR 1123. I mean, who is responsible for tracking our tax dollars? Is one road really costing that much? Why hasn’t it been paved yet? How many years has this been going on? Why is Ms. Davis having to bring it to the public’s attention? How many other dirt roads are there that should clearly be paved to save money in the long run? Should there a “no drive zone” after every rainfall? Should the public be banned every time the thunder rolls? Should the public fear the possibility of being arrested for being on dirt roads? Who should decide the rainfall limits? 1 inch of rain…road open. 1 1/2 inch of rain, road closed? So many questions! This could cost thousands more just to get some answers. What other county roads? I know there is one in Goshen that gets very muddy…almost got stuck on it myself trying to take a shortcut. Hmmm….hope I don’t get arrested for that!

• iwonder

If you truly know the people and the issues then go to the mothers facebook page October 18/19/20 and see the silly things posted. I do commend the mom for taking up for her kids but honestly do you think the way to fix this is to pave all the dirt roads to keep this from happening. I wonder if the mom had maybe not been so quick to make this a joke the kids would have been hit with the reality of wrong being wrong even if mommy thinks it’s cute. Sure pave the roads but I suspect that losing one source of entertainment/destruction would simply be replaced with another. And to the fact that these fine young men are members of the military and that making this somehow ok all I can say is sad. I remember the military once representing a higher standard of person instead of a mamma’s boy who looks for justification to make wrong right instead of being man enough to admit wrong. See I have a problem with you thinking it is natural to take tax dollars to fix issues that should not be issues. Half the county saw the videos and images. Surely you don’t think folks think those boys, sitting on the muddy dirt road, none of them lived on, have property on or had any business on, in muddy trucks waving traffic around were there to hand out bibles.
      To quote the mother “Exactly Jeffery. You all had a right to that road. You did nothing wrong. She, on the other hand, crossed the line when she made such slanderous statements against innocent young men.”
      October 18 at 7:07pm

• goshen8

I’m very familiar with the mother’s facebook page. And if Ms. Davis was so proud of herself then she wouldn’t have deleted her facebook postings. The mother stands by her boys and her boys friends. Sitting on a dirt road is no harm to anyone. The problem lies with the REAL destruction–that of the fences and the mailboxes. Mailboxes were not destroyed the night of the dirt road sitting video. That was done October 5th…the very weekend the Air Force called upon their recruits and required them to be on base. In Montgomery. 50 miles away. So…you see…there is more to the story. There are more weekends. There are more boys who ride that very same dirt road. There are more trucks and ATV’s that have cruised along those muddy trails. It’s not just the three she “caught” sitting on the dirt road.

• goshen8

Oh…and not to be presumptions…not just boys. There are more ladies, girls, women that may ride that dirt road as well. Males and females, of all ages!

• iwonder

Well dang Goshen8 what this seems like is more justification. Are you saying that because more than the ones caught do it its less bad? Are you saying that adding in girls to the mix makes it less trashy? Are you trying to tell me that Ms. Davis was wrong to be upset and try to do something about it yet in the same breath try to tell us that somehow you find no fault in the ones caught doing it? I will end my portion of this thread with yet one more quote from the mother of one of the suspects. This might summarize her opinion on what goes on “.I love hearing my boys come home….at a decent hour. I love when thiere friends visit…at a decent hour. But when I have to get up at 6 a.m to get kids ready for school and go to work while they lay in bed till noon.. then I hate it. I’m so over loud trucks and partying. If they want to do it…they need to take it somewhere else. Its so disrespectful.” I wonder Goshen8 how the mother can find her own kids to be disrespectful on one hand yet so innocent on the other? Maybe if it is her life that is interpreted its disrespectful but if its someone’s down a dirt road it’s innocent?

• Bill_OReally

Is it legal to ride four wheelers on county roads?

• Bill_OReally

How about not being so melodramatic and using common sense? They could enforce speed limits when conditions are dangerous. It’s pretty obvious when someone is driving wreckless under any given conditions. Ever hear of slowing down when it sleets? Then drive 5 mph on a mud road after it rains. And ATV four wheelers have no business being on county roads anyway. Are they licensed vehicles?

• goshen8
  • goshen8

Troy Messenger: what gives? not allowing any more posts? Screening for logic that contradicts Ms. Davis? Freedom of speech limited?

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

Comments have not been blocked or deleted from this post. Try refreshing your browser or clearing out your cache, maybe log out and log back in. There is no reason we’ve created that you shouldn’t be able to post.

• goshen8

I tried posting twice yesterday in response to iwonder and Bill…but they never showed up.

• 4ever4theEagles

I had posts as well that have not been showing up. Hmmmm???

The county can’t pave every dirt road in the county.
    I don’t know Ms,Davis but more people should speak-up when there is a problem.

• mustang89

To answer the ATV question. Atvs are off road vehicles. It is illegal to drive them on anything other than private roads or off road. A problem I have is coming around a curve and there one is no lights no helmet no tag and a beer in the drivers hand. I have seen this numerous times on paved and dirt roads. I have also seen them pull over for a deputy’s car and wave as the deputy drives past. My point is there are law in place just enforce them. And SOMETIMES they will over over for cars, sometimes not.

• TR186

Next time, just call the cops, or me and the other residents will simply go tell them to find another place to play. We haven’t many more problems on our road. We all road dirt roads, it’s not some new craze. We did it with respect. Don’t destroy property, clean up your trash, and don’t block off the residents that live there. Yea, it’s not the most law abiding thing to do, but some minor things get over-looked when you use a little common sense and courtesy.

• 4ever4theEagles

Well I was just wondering out of curiosity if Ms. Davis was in the right to post private information on a social network-(such as tag numbers etc)? Also was it ok for her to use her JOB to look up the names and addresses of the individuals that were JUST sitting in their trucks-for her own personal use? I thought that was up to the police to investigate all that. I did see the videos on her FACEBOOK page and all I seen was three trucks sitting on a dirt road hanging out. I DID NOT see them mudd riding! I did not see them backing into her mailbox and destroying property. I don’t think it was appropriate for her to slander these people on a social network. Maybe she needs to INVESTIGATE since she has the equipment to do so, (she looked up tag number and addresses) and find out who the real culprits are that destroyed her property. Maybe she has slandered one too many folks in Pike County and really ticked someone off in the past! Has she thought of that? Don’t go around accusing innocent folks of doing things that you obviously have no solid proof that they did. Again, THEY WERE SITTING IN THERE TRUCKS ON YOUR VIDEO!! END OF STORY!

• wayfaroff

I didnt read all the comments and so maybe someone else has already observed this, but doesnt the ‘Commission’ have more important things to worry about? – The lady seems like she doesnt want to come off like a pest, but she comes off as a pest. With that said, this seems like something someone on the ‘Commission’ could have handled with a quick phone call to this gal instead of having her use up their ‘Commission’ time.

• flipside

I live on a county dirt road as well. I have had numerous vehicles stuck in the ditch in front of my house requiring wrecker service to get them out at 2 and 3am. Because we live on a dirt road we should not have to tolerate people destroying our roads,not to mention all the abandoned animals, and the trash people tend to donate us. You dont have a clear understanding of this unless you experience it first hand. Its really easy to offer an opinion when something doesn’t apply to you…take a minute to consider how you would feel if it was affecting you and your property….